natural rucksack hanging tripods

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya gang

now for the last two camps i have been on (both of which have been at middlewood) i have built tripods to hang my rucksack on now the problem with these two is if u knocked them the fell over and werent really that good.
now my question is what sort of wood, would be a good one two use that i could find 2-3 inch thick and long enough to
make tripod out of cos once made i want to keep them like i have dunn with the poles for the four corners of my tarp.

help

drew

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
How heavy is your rucksack that you need it to be up to 3 inches thick???

A 3inch thick tripod with hold 2 of you Drew... get thinner :rolleyes:

I've got a tripod I made from Hazel and the rods aren't much thicker than my thumb and 2 pieces are about 3ft long and the other is about 3.5 ft long.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
oh i see i thought it would have to be thicker than that and my ruck its a standed issue plce rucksack and the reson i thought it would have to be thicker is waylands looks like its 2-3 thick but maybe thats just photos and not actually the case

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i find hazel good as its grows relatively straight and takeing a few sticks a year dose no harm use to stop your tripodfalling over use longer sticks and spread the feet futher apart.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i find hazel good as its grows relatively straight and takeing a few sticks a year dose no harm use stop your tripod falling over use longer sticks and spread the feet futher apart.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
If your lashings are good and the spars are roughly equal in length, then the problem will either be the height to base ratio (too tall when compared to how far apart the legs are) or, otherwise, to how the legs are spaced ~ they need to have roughly equal spacing.

As Steve says you don't need to get thicker ~ broom handle thickness should be more than adequate for a tripod supporting a rucksack.

For added stability you could (where practical) also push the legs into the ground :cool: .

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
oh i see i thought it would have to be thicker than that and my ruck its a standed issue plce rucksack and the reson i thought it would have to be thicker is waylands looks like its 2-3 thick but maybe thats just photos and not actually the case

Waylands tripod is made from Hazel that's about thumb thick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE