Natural Fibre

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Been awfully busy lately, but I thought I would show you all a new rope which I finished last week, 100ft of elm fibre.
Further breaking strain tests will be done over the next few weeks but so far it has held my weight using the South African abseiling technique - promising results!
Also a selection of other natural fibre cordage with many different applications. Making natural cordage requires a huge investment in time, therefore the fibres I select are ones which have strength and durability.

fibre-craft-2.jpg

fibre-craft-1.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Absolutely beautiful :D :notworthy:

Patrick that must have taken weeks of work; the preparation alone......

Thank you for the photos :cool: incredibly inspiring.

cheers,
M

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Serious amount of work there Patrick, really nice.
I like elm bark for cordage and it makes a cracking knife sheath too.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'm amazed every time I see your work Patrick! - your ropes are stunning, do you actually use them for anything? They look so good, after all the work they obviously took I'd be darned if I would use them it would seem like sacrilege....... then again you could just 'knock a few more miles of cord up' in a couple of days whereas it would be years of work wasted for me.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Lovely work but how long would you expect natural rope to last?

Is there a way of preserving them other than birch or pine tar?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a bit of willowbast cord still attached to a sunken logboat lying off the Danish coast, and it's thousands of years old :) and it's still unmistakeably willowbast cord.
It's the conditions that cause decay, or not.

For many 'wet' wet is good, but left damp and foosty and mouldy and they'll rot in gun time. Bone dry, desert of either ice or heat, and the preservation's good too. It's just our temperate climate that encourages anything organic to rot and decay. One of the reasons our soils are so good :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE