Native forests in scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 29, 2009
GLASGOW
Hi, can anyone tell me where i can find native woods in and around glasgow. i live about 30mins from loch lomond but most woodland is pine

thanks

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Hi

Have a look at the FCS map viewer here

Click on the native woodland survey of Scotland in the right hand menu and it will highlight all the areas your looking for.

The full survey isnt available yet, but it does let you know the areas of native woodland.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh good link :D Thank you :cool:

The ones I know of are the gills of the Clyde Valley from Bothwell upstream. Basically anywhere where the burns runs so deep and steep that cutting the trees wasn't commercially feasible they were left alone. Now the native flora and fauna is being encouraged to expand from the burnsides and along the river valley too.

cheers,
M

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Native Caledonian pinewood remnants are found around Rothiemurchas in the Carngorms, Glen Affric, and the Black Wood of Rannoch. Also on small islands in lochs across the Highlands.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Top Tip: DON'T go to the Queen Elisabeth Forest at Godrabhan (sp?) Nr Drymen. 99% cultivated softwood, dense, messy, a real disappointment.

Callum

Aug 21, 2010
Scotland
Hi Forry

I think Loch Lomond has bits of Alder riparian woodland near the Loch side and higher up on the hillsides are upland birch types. If you make a trip over to Argyll there's some fantastic Atlantic Oak woods around Tayvallich and tarbert.

Callum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE