native evergreen - fast growing

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
We are buying a house, it's all very nice.

One thing, the living room faces onto the street. Currently there are few low plants and a flowering cherry in front of the window.

I'd like to add some evergreen shrubs that would give a bit of privacy, maybe 5-6ft in height. The aspect gets some sun. Don't want to totally block everything off, just a bit better than totally open to all passers-by.

Wondered about planting Holly. Clearing up after it is always painful tho'.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Holly is slow growing mrcharly - I planted some 3 years ago and its put maybe 6" a year on if that. Once grown though its great, pretty, only requires minimal maintenance, glossy leaves and attractive berries

Privet is fast but becomes a bear to cut - 3 times a year at least - it is also (IMO) the dullest of hedges.

Laurel is a good screening plant but a thug that needs hard pruning.

Beech holds its leaves so, although deciduous, provides good Winter screenage.

If it exists as a hedge plant, I probably have it - happy to talk you through the pros and cons of each!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Easy as - clip to shape twice a year and "top out" regularly whilst growing to encourage matting lateral growth

Spring-beech.jpg

I mix it into native hedges and it does very well indeed

Copper beech gives a nice colour - worth thinking about

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was going to recommend beech.

The trouble with some of the fast growing conifers is stopping them growing once they have reached the height you want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE