Native American Ethnobotany Database

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Sounds a mouthful ;) but is a very interesting resource to find out more about how the Native American Peoples used plants both for food, medicine, cordage etc. A very comprehensive database with many plants which can also be found the British Isles and Europe. Hosted by the University of Michigan, USA

Native American Ethnobotany - A Database of Foods, Drugs, Dyes and Fibers of Native American Peoples, Derived from Plants

A search for 'Nettle' (Urtica dioca) for instance gives 234 results! (note searching for 'nettles' only gives 18) Including both use of the plant and use of other plants to treat nettle stings for instance.

Just a few examples:

Urtica dioica L.
Stinging Nettle; Urticaceae
Okanagan-Colville Drug (Antirheumatic (External))
Fresh plants used to beat the skin after "sweathousing" and for rheumatic and arthritic pain.
Turner, Nancy J., R. Bouchard and Dorothy I.D. Kennedy 1980 Ethnobotany of the Okanagan-Colville Indians of British Columbia and Washington. Victoria. British Columbia Provincial Museum (p. 140)

Urtica dioica L.
Mohegan Food (Vegetable)
Combined with pigweed, mustard, plantain and dock and used as mixed greens.
Tantaquidgeon, Gladys 1972 Folk Medicine of the Delaware and Related Algonkian Indians. Harrisburg. Pennsylvania Historical Commission Anthropological Papers #3 (p. 83)

Urtica dioica L.
Hesquiat Fiber (Cordage)
Dried, peeled stems used to make twine, ropes and herring nets.
Turner, Nancy J. and Barbara S. Efrat 1982 Ethnobotany of the Hesquiat Indians of Vancouver Island. Victoria. British Columbia Provincial Museum (p. 76)

Urtica dioica L.
Nitinaht Other (Hunting & Fishing Item)
Plants rubbed on fishing lines to eliminate human odor.
Turner, Nancy J., John Thomas, Barry F. Carlson and Robert T. Ogilvie 1983 Ethnobotany of the Nitinaht Indians of Vancouver Island. Victoria. British Columbia Provincial Museum (p. 112)

Urtica dioica ssp. gracilis (Ait.) Seland.
California Nettle; Urticaceae
Chehalis Drug (Dermatological Aid)
Decoction of roots used as a hair wash.
Gunther, Erna 1973 Ethnobotany of Western Washington. Seattle. University of Washington Press. Revised edition (p. 28)

Artemisia dracunculus L.
Wormwood; Asteraceae [note: not the absinthe type but French Tarragon :)]
Shoshoni Drug (Dermatological Aid)
Decoction of whole plant used as a wash for nettle stings.
Train, Percy, James R. Henrichs and W. Andrew Archer 1941 Medicinal Uses of Plants by Indian Tribes of Nevada. Washington DC. U.S. Department of Agriculture (p. 39, 40)

Each listing has a link for the plant at the United States Department of Agriculture - Plant Database which is in itself a great resource full of info on plants, again many of which grow over here.

Check out the entry for Nettles - Urtica dioca

and links to very decent and large botanical illustrations:

small version:

urdi_001_svd.jpg

large image (online)

Urtica dioica L. stinging nettle

Carpe urtica! :)

Simon

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good find MR - im just starting a study on NA shamanism and rituals and I think this might prove most useful!! Cheers Simon your a star mate..

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary said:
Good find MR - im just starting a study on NA shamanism and rituals and I think this might prove most useful!! Cheers Simon your a star mate..
My pleasure as always Gary ;) If you find any decent links, books on shamanism please post them.

The nice thing with this database is not only does it give a great insight into the uses the plants were put by the NA tribes but also I continually find new uses for species I would never have thought of. And it also refers to shamanistic and mystic uses also which often show the relationship between practical application and spiritual meaning. Just a quick example:
Urtica dioica L.
Makah Drug (Hunting Medicine)
Leaves rubbed on fishing line to give it a green color or used as medicine for good fishing.
Gill, Steven J. 1983 Ethnobotany of the Makah and Ozette People, Olympic Peninsula, Washington (USA). Washington State University, Ph.D. Thesis (p. 246)

So the nettle is used to dye the fishing line a more natural colour and reduce reflection also I guess, a technique used in fishing today (on our modern monofilament line) and aid fishing. Whilst also used as a 'medicine' or charm for good fishing!

Today it is difficult to appreciate just how important the spiritual side was to our ancestors in their every day lives and it would have been unimaginable if one was not practised hand in hand with the other.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I have just re-discovered this - there is a massive book that goes with it which you can
'look inside' at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881924539/o/qid=910360421/sr=2-1/102-2329161-2208933

Also more at Timber Press: http://www.timberpress.com/books/index.cfm?do=details&ID=255&OR=SE

Daniel Moerman, the guy behind it, is receiving high praise for his book on the placebo
effect over at Ben Goldacre's delightful debunking of homeopathy:
http://www.badscience.net/2007/11/a-kind-of-magic/

He's also done one on medical anthropology - I think I might have an idea what I'm going
to do my medical history project on :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE