National Geographic's The Pioneers

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Anyone else watching this?

About 4 couples going off and trying to create a settlement in the prairie over 3 months. Complete with 2 covered wagons, 4 draught horses and period correct equipment.

Seems BUK doesn't have a spoiler tag... so spoilers below.

They spent 3 days travelling with the wagons to get to their destination.

A cottonwood tree was blocking their route, it was dark, so an old guy just pulls out several sticks of dynamite balances on the tree, illuminated with a couple of storm lamps and shoots the dynamite.

Once they reach their destination the idea was to build sod houses. They got given some wood, but went to fell some more. You know your looking at complete clueless dolts when you see the state of the tools they were trying to use. The two bit axe was useless, it was practically bashing the tree over rather cutting. The one man saw looked like it very much needed some tlc.

Only 3 episodes in so far, and the 4th looks even more hilarious judging from the clips. :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...You know your looking at complete clueless dolts when you see the state of the tools they were trying to use. ..."

I can well imagine that many folks heading west were equipped with poorly made or unsuitable equipment.

There was a similar series many years back, several families were involved, I watched that one and quite enjoyed it. What sticks in my mind was the quite well to do chap and his sons not being at all happy when at the end of the series the judges ruled that they had failed to prepare enough firewood to see them through the winter and that they wouldn't have survived.

pelago

Jan 13, 2015
North Carolina
I tried to watch this show two times, (think it has only been on couple of weeks)
What a load of horsecrap!. these yahoos on some broken down wagons (nice livestock though) are going to travel "west" and homestead on the prairie.
broke the wagon, and the guy with the cheap knockoff pakisatan bowie knife!! buy that for 17.00 US in about five catalogs, cheap bottom knife, watched them shoot a rabbit and this guy first thing he does is cut the head off???????????? does not even skin it, but cuts off meat with the hair and hide still on it************ what a joke.
no food except can soup, no flour no beans no rice, no cooking oil.
they get stopped by a fallen tree and the guy with the knife just happens to have dynamite (ever play with old dynamite, don't it crystalizes and weeps pure nitro, it blows up if handled wrong)
They pick a homestead site (foreget about 100 year flood plain, which my great grandfather knew about in the 1800's)
i mean this is a serious joke,
seems to be alot of trash like this trying to be a reality show, like Mick Dodge running around half naked barefoot in the pacific north west.
The Brown family "alaskan bush people" serious yahoo territory
I spent 26 years in the United States Marine Corps and know a little bit about venturing out into the wilderness or bush, but these producers seem to have a idea that is pure nonsense

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE