National Deer Cull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Reminds me of the Italian Job quote: "You must have shot a lot of tigers sir!" "Oh yes, I use a machine gun!"
I have heard similar (obviously not that extreme) stories about culling - I guess to the authorities they need to get the animals killed quickly and above all cheaply (what do we expect in todays society :roll:), so they do it the easiest way they can.

S

Skippy

i'll have a couple of deer steaks if there is any going (as long as they are cheap & not dear) :roll:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
We had a similar circumstance happen here just recently. A group of hogs, maybe 30 or so, moved into a well to do neighborhood in Carmel. Actually they had moved into the marsh land at the mouth of the Carmel River, which is near this neighborhood. The local residents didn't want the hogs tearing up the marsh and destroying the native habitat :?: and made some calls to the state and federal offices that oversee the area and asked that they be removed, one way or another. They sent in a team of government killers who eliminated every hog with rifles shooting poisoned darts. Of course, the meat couldn't be utilized and they had to carve a road in so they could get a large truck in to pick up the bodies. :?: So much for Gov. intellegence eh? :roll:

GOD was watching and payback is a B*T*H. Plus, it brings to mind an old saying that usually rings true during hard times. "Waste not, want not".

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
We had a serious deer cull here in Pennsylvania a while back. The survey team determined that a certain state park could support a total of 90 deer on forest browse alone. The arial survey of the park revealed a total of over 600 deer living there. The deer would cross into farmland at night to feed and sleep it off in the park all day. Not too bad except for the fact that the park was bordered by highway on most sides. They were having about three struck a night.

They opened the park up to bowhunters with special permits and the harvested deer were all checked in at a weigh station before they left the park. Even this hunt didn't cull enough deer and the hunt has been repeated many times since.

Of course this was all protested by animal rights people. At one of the protests a woman got up and told how her husband was now paralyzed due to hitting a deer. It got pretty quiet. The anti-hunters wanted to remove deer, sterilize the deer, you name it they had a way to do it short of footing the bill. In the end the bowhunters won out, the tags were issued, the freezers filled up. Yummy!

The problem isn't that we have unbalanced nature by killing off the predators. We're still here and we can do that job just fine if allowed. The real culprit is AGRICULTURE! Once you clear a forest and plant crops the deer population explodes. In areas where there is farmland and stands of forest posted "No Hunting", that is heaven for deer. They could ask for nothing more.

Back when you guys owned Pennsylvania deer were very rare. Back then it was all forest and didn't support very many of them per square mile. Now were surrounded by them. Here in suburban south eastern PA we have them wandering across our lawns at night. I once spotted 180 of them from the car on a single night with a Q-Beam spotlight. I have a feeling they'll be with us for some time. Mac

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Too true Mac. One thing the *peta's* of the world don't take into consideration in the need to control populations is that man is the reason they are so high to begin with. And since most peta types are vegans, it is their food source, more than anything else, that is behind the need to control herd growth. Once we change things, it is our responsibility to make sure that their numbers don't get out of hand. Not only for us, but for them as well. As an example, with the moratorium on lion hunting and an extended period of drought here in California, herd numbers are dropping fast, so some areas are being closed to hunting and others are having their tags severely limited. In times of boom for the herds, that will change.

Something else I've considered as a reason that vegans don't like hunters, is that maybe their choice of food has changed their bodies chemically and has made them *prey* in their mindset. Prey will always fear the predator, but in humans, they have a voice and a means to change things. Totally against Nature's ways, but what about modern man living in an affluent society isn't contrary to Nature. :?:

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Hi everyone, :wave:

As a Forester at an estate in Hertfordshire that has a large fallow deer population, I though that I would throw in my two cents on the topic of deer control. Like many estates around the country, the estate used to keep a managed herd of both native red deer and naturalised fallow in a large fenced portion of the estate known as a 'deer park', which allowed both the numbers and health of the deer to be carefully managed and controlled. However, like many large country estates it changed ownership a number of times during the 20th century, with the new owners at one stage seeing fit to dismantle the iron deer park fencing to sell it for scrap value, resulting in the deer herd escaping into the surrounding woodlands and multiplying beyond effective control.

This means that we now have a large wild herd in excess of 1,000 Fallow deer, which browse off ground level woodland flora, and also cause damage to crops on surrounding tenant farmland. As a result, much of the woodland on the estate has a poor habitat structure, with few emerging young trees or woodland plants that guarantee the woodland's future and provide food and shelter for birds and smaller mammals. We also have a serious problem with deer road casualties, with myself and other members of the estate management team frequently having to go out and dispatch and remove deer that have been struck by cars on roads surrounding the estate. The other week we were called out to such an instance to find another driver cramming the large Fallow buck that had been hit into the back of a Ford Ka (not the largest vehicle in the world), presumeably to take home for dinner! For anyone contemplating eating venision road kill, be aware of the fact that whilst the impact tenderises the meat, it also frequently ruptures the deers stomach, flushing the stomach acids into the meat and making it taste foul if the carcass isnt washed out (nasty!).

Although we have a really good contact deer stalker on the estate, he is only one man, and so can only relaistically achieve a certain level of control. Culling has also been disrupted in the past by the generally poor level of awareness (and in some cases ignorance) displayed by the general population surrounding deer control. Comments shouted at the deerstalker in the past include "You can't shoot deer in this country with guns its illegal", whilst he and other members of staff on the estate have also been verbally and in some cases physically threatened by people opposed to deer control. That being said, most people are pretty good once things have been explained to them: they realise that we are only seeking to control the deer population so as to achieve a working balance, not eradicate it. However, this shows the need for better education to be delivered by government agencies such as DEFRA and the Forestry Commission surrounding the problems posed by deer, and reasons for their control. :biggthump

P.S. I say reintroduce wolves they're cool

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Your stalker doesn't need any more help does he? :eek:):

I agree, most of the public understand why culling should be carried out. I think the biggest problem I have is walking around the fields in full cammo gear. It can give the impression the SAS are doing an exercise.
I suppose you react to the local feeling, if there's unease in the local area about culling it's not a good idea to be fully cammo'd up just incase you meet someone. :shock:

Education is the key to most things

Cheers

Mark

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
This arrived today as a PS on an e-mail from my brother in Pennsylvania...

PS: Hit a deer on the way into work this morning. A Ford F150 and a 9mm Silvertip do a number. Just a small dent in my truck bumper. Taking the back straps for jerky.

Big wheels keep on rollin' in the circle of life...

Mac

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
This arrived in an e-mail from my police officer brother the other day. The prospect of fresh red meat put him on the slippery slope I'm afraid...

Last night I got a call for a deer struck on SR 84 near Strong's Garage. Someone chirped on the radio, "Go get'em." I replied "That's jerky flopping in the road." (Everyone likes my jerky.) Well I pull up to the deer...it's still alive like disoreinted. I figured it had a concussion. I let some cars go by, then I grabbed the deer by the front leg to pull it off the roadway. (I always pull them off the roadway before I shoot to prevent a pass-through ricochette.) Well I'm dragging this deer accross the snow and I'm thinking, "Yea, I'm going to take this deer...drag...drag...might as well keep dragging to the tree line, because I'll gut and hang it till morning over there...drag...drag...Huh..this deer's dragging kind of funny?" I look back and the deer is hobbling behind me as I'm pulling it by it's one front leg. I got startled and let go...the deer started walking away, apparently recovering from it's concussion. Now, not wanting this deer to ever make any kind of recovery...I promptly ran up to it and gave it a near contact downward shot for a double lunger. I did have my gun out when I was dragging it. I gutted it and hung it to the rear of the garage. (They let me hunt back there, so I didn't think they'd mind me hanging it overnight.) It cleaned up nice in the snow and cold (10-15 degrees). I skinned it out this afternoon and I could only find a small bruise on the butt and it had a decent head injury. Otherwise it was fine. PS: After having shot some 20-30+ road injured deer over the past 14 years (I shot 4 this year). I conclude that any pistol round 9mm, .45, .40, .38 Special, .357 Mag is plently of bullet to do a quick job on a deer provided you double lung them like an arrow. Guys insist on larger calibers (.308, .30-06, .270 etc) because they want to be able to shoot and get the deer at any angle. One well placed pistol bullet is always effective. Another note is only head/spine shot deer drop from one pistol shot. Any deer that has been able to run has run some 20 or better yards after being double lunged and they live for 2-6 minutes afterwards. Hence, anyone shot in the chest with one pistol round will continue to do what they want for 2-6 minutes. I think the comparison is fair.

Mac

D

DOC-CANADA

Pict said:
This arrived today as a PS on an e-mail from my brother in Pennsylvania.... Taking the back straps for jerky.

What about the sinew?

:smile: Doc :smile:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Doc,

My brother is a traditional and primitive archer/bowhunter. He shoots four or five deer a year with a longbow. If you really work at one or two of them you get enough sinew for a long time. He has done this with several deer The last I saw in his arrowmaking stuff he had a huge ziplock full of dried sinew. It really is amazing stuff. You just get it wet in our mouth and wrap it on. It dries tight and hard. It will come unglued if it gets wet though.

None of the deer he gets are wasted. He gives away a lot of meat every year as his family is still small. If he only took the backstraps off a deer that was all there was worth taking.

By the way, the deer in the above posted story had a broken jaw and would not have lasted the winter. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE