Napsack Hammocks' A.B.C. Tarp Prototype

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I recently received the A.B.C. tarp prototype from Napsack Hammocks to look over which is exciting in itself, but the fact this is an ongoing collaboration between us is kid in a sweet shop moment.

When I was initially researching tarps I came to the conclusion that the 3m x 3m was a popular size and got it. As I used it I quickly came to the conclusion that whilst it sounds a fair size that there wasn't much coverage at either end of a hammock. Later I saw a rectangular one advertised which I got because it was longer and gave adequate hammock coverage , especially if the ends were folded into 'doors' but it didn't have the multi setup opportunities of a square one and made for a narrower 'roof' as a compromise.

I occasionally tried different setups with the square one but I usually stuck with the standard 'roof' as I liked the five loops across the ridgeline that, say, an assymetrical/ diamond set up etc didn't offer (I also didn't like the coverage of the latter). This is when I came to the conclusion that a bigger than 3m x 3m tarp with four extra loops on the actual fabric occured. For the extra loops to be viable it would then neccesitate being a sqaure tarp, and one that pretty much matched the longer, thinner one I had. It also occured that I employed 'doors' on most occasions so having a double loop (at 90 and 45 degrees on fixing point in) to the tarp made sense too.

With this tarp spec in mind I did tentatively try several avenues to see about a bespoke tarp but all withered on the vine for one reason or another. I then noticed Craig Fordham (Black Wolf Survival) with a Napsack Hammocks zipped tarp not too disimmilar to what I had envisaged in a Facebook post. Chin duly rubbed I asked him if this mob do bespoke stuff, he wasn't sure but put me in contact with Stevie Burns who said they didn't usually but bung an email over, well the mood music was good and that's pretty much how we've ended up here. Stevie has pitched in ('Scuse the pun) with some ideas and getting out to record the video was frankly a brilliant moment and at one stage I just stood looking at it almost open mouthed.

It has a lot of fixing points but has it got too many? Change the words 'fixing points' for 'knives' :) It's also part of it's U.S.P. in that it's All Bases Covered. Having got it up I've fed back to Stevie and if anyone else has anything to say please do post.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
The fact that it has so many tie out points sets it apart from most and its a good size to make use of the versatility . Do, do please keep us posted.
Watched the video again and you really do seem to have crossed the i's and dotted more then a few t's. I have and love my 4x4 DD, the extra space over a 3x3 is a real joy. However finding a good spot to fit the 4 metres in is not so easy. so there is a place for a 3.5 metre tarp. Extra loop for prussic... grommets for ground pegs.. internal hang loop tick tick and tick.
One question left.. how much

Last edited:
Reactions: Mang

Mang

Settler
The tarp size conundrum you raise is sort of how I arrived at 3.5 metres. It is still a prototype and Napsack Hammocks and I are still shooting the breeze with it so they haven't asked the manufacturers for a price yet.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Yep, I agree with Hammock man. I like the extra space the 4m X 4m gives. It makes a huge difference with a hammock.
What the Napsack does is put some very good, well thought out tie out points, in all the right places.
It's got much more versatility than a standard DD. It looks robust too.
I like the look of that, a lot.
However, I'm not sure I'll like the price.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Looks like some useful additional features there .... I have a generation 1 tarp from Napsack hammocks and have had some fabulous nights out under it .... this extra size and more tie out points make it super versatile.... be interested in it’s price point and price compared to DD 3.5x 3.5 .... first impressions

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I've got a napsack hammock, Stevie Burns was very responsive to my many questions and I'll be very interested in the tarp when it's finished.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Got a hammock coming and have been looking at a new tarp too with extra space I could hang out under when the weather is bad. This looks to be the perfect coverage / size / weight combination and the tie extra loops at the sides look awesome. I would have bought a DD 4x4 already if I had not seen this video. Can we get even a very rough idea of timeframes for when this might be produced?

Stevie Burns is sound. Spoke to him on Messenger once and my toddler started pulling faces at him so he started pulling faces back at him....lol

Mang

Settler
Got a hammock coming and have been looking at a new tarp too with extra space I could hang out under when the weather is bad. This looks to be the perfect coverage / size / weight combination and the tie extra loops at the sides look awesome. I would have bought a DD 4x4 already if I had not seen this video. Can we get even a very rough idea of timeframes for when this might be produced?

Stevie Burns is sound. Spoke to him on Messenger once and my toddler started pulling faces at him so he started pulling faces back at him....lol
Stevie has said Spring this year but l'll message him tomorrow to see where things are at.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE