Nalgene SS bottle repair

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I bought a Nalgene SS bottle a couple of months back. I am really pleased with it, lovely to use and a good size. Such an improvement over my old army bottles...

I usually keep it in the side pocket of my backpack, the elasticated mesh thing which is easy to access. There is a compression strap over it.

On the way out the door for one trip, I bent down to pick up some post off the matt, and the bottle fell out as I hadn't done the strap up properly. Of all the positions the bottle could land in, it landed perfectly on the metal bit of the door tread, right on the bottom corner of the bottle.

This left a bloody great dent in the bottle, that meant the bottle would no longer stand up properly on a flat surface. Damn.

After it's fall the bottle looked like this:

ssbottlebefore02_sm.jpg

So this evening, I took the bottle outside, placed it on a stump, and put a length of chestnut in the round down into the bottom of the bottle. Carefully lined it up. And thumped it with a rubber mallet.

It took a few hits to get it to take enough effect, plus a couple just to pop things so the bottom was flat. I didn't managed to knock out the dent on the corner, but did manage to flatten the bottom of the bottle more, so that it will now stand up on a flat surface better. It's not perfect. But still an improvement.

After hitting it with a stick:

ssbottleafter01_sm.jpg

I find myself wondering how the bottle would have faired in it's initial fall had it been the standard plastic bottle. Would it have had enough springyness to bounce? or would it have just cracked?

Either way, one of the reasons I had gone for the ss bottle was that if I damaged it, I could beat it back into a largely useful shape. I just hadn't expected to be doing so so soon.

J

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My plastic Nalgene just bounce. Did the same with a stainless bottle but managed to knock the dent out to almost new again.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got a KleanKanteen 64oz stainless and I wouldn't think it would've dinted that badly, I geuss it was more the unfortunate landing position rather than just falling all together. I do prefer stainless botlles much more, I've got a smaller life venture one too and they both boil well and I like them loads more than plastic ones, and BPA free there's no funny taste. Hope you get your bottle sorted! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE