Mysterious Caterpillar invasion

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I thought you might all like to see these photos I took about 2 years ago as I never did get a satisfactory answer as to what they were...

caterpillars.jpg

treecloseup.jpg

individualcaterpillars.jpg

Somebody thought they were Puss Moth, somebody else said White ermine. Ive no idea, but the tree is very striking and Ive never seen such a thing before or since.

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
i dont know what ther are exactly but i remember been at primary school and seeing the exact same thing, i was amazed.. also never seen it since!

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Ermine moth is correct:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermine_moth

I see this every summer at a few places nearby. The moth's caterpillars invade the same species of bush every year, carpet it in this beautiful shroud and strip of all the leaves. A few years ago it made the local newspaper saying that the "plague had to be destroyed", luckily an entomologist reacted and said it was perfectly normal. After the caterpillars have metamorphosized (sp?) the bush makes a new batch of leaves. The attractive looking moths are of a silky white colour with black dots, hence the name (in Dutch they are called 'stippelmot' -dotted moth-). I believe each ermine moth species is specialized in a specific type of bush.

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE