MYOG Polycryo Bathtub

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Had a few hours to kill this afternoon while the grand prix came to its boring climax so decided to finally do something with the pack of stormgaurd polycryo sheet thats been gathering dust. im off to the peaks next weekend and my double width 1.1 silnylon bathtub doesnt quite fit in my garita tarp tent so i needed a narrower one

Polycryo is very easy to work with. I laid it out, cut it and hemmed all the edges with the provided double sided tape. I didnt bother measuring it and just eyeballed the width and lay down next to it to do the length.

Corner

next i made some tubes up for the peg out points. 5mm ally tube cut to 48mm which is the width of my gorilla tape. gave them a wrap of tape to stop any sharp edges

next i folded the corners in on eachother having drawn a 50mm square in each corner. This was then reinforced with gorilla tape which also stuck the tube in place. Another piece of gorilla tape over the top gave a nice 3d corner

The gorilla tape is waterproof and sticks solid. Borrowed nextdoors garden for a quick test pitch

The walls dont rise to 50mm all the way along but they are up off the floor so water will stay out. I put a huge amount of tension on each corner and the gorilla tie outs didnt budge. packs nice and small too

74g all in which is a good saving over my 230g silnylon version. It wont last forever but it gets my pack weight down which is important when you are lugging it all up a mountain.

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Never heard of polycro before this thread. Looks like interesting stuff, did you get it from gossamer-gear?

Is it noisy, if that makes any sense?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Got it from B&Q mate. Its a little crinkly but really not bad. I have a 3mm ccf mat that goes on top of it which pretty much stops any noise and that only weighs 60g. this protects my ultralight bivvy bag and thermarest from punctures. ill take some pics of the complete setup for you next time im out

forgot to add its only £8 a pack

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insula...econdary-Glazing-Film-10908059?skuId=11398755

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great stuff! Let us know how you get on with it in use. I've had a sheet of this stuff for a year or so and it's still going strong. Use it under the Trailstar or under the laser comp to protect the base/cover the porch areA

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm impressed :D

I read the title and thought that it was maybe taking bushcrafty homefromhome a tad beyond the kitchen sink :rolleyes: but the post straightened me out :eek:

I know I'm a clutz with high tech kit, but what's the difference in the quality of the polycryo stuff as oppossed to the cheapo survival blankets ? Has it got some kind of reinforcing in it ?

Would the addition of a length of paracord inner threaded through the fold over and tied to fit the tent pegs help to keep the sides up ?

I keep looking for lightweight kit for HWMBLT these days, so stuff like this catches my eye.

Thanks for the photos :)

cheers,
Toddy

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Got it from B&Q mate. Its a little crinkly but really not bad. I have a 3mm ccf mat that goes on top of it which pretty much stops any noise and that only weighs 60g. this protects my ultralight bivvy bag and thermarest from punctures. ill take some pics of the complete setup for you next time im out

forgot to add its only £8 a pack

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insula...econdary-Glazing-Film-10908059?skuId=11398755

Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for it next time im in B&Q, looking forward to seeing your set-up :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Im not sure of the differences Mary but i understand this stuff is probably a bit more durable that the emergency blankets and more puncture resistant. Paracord would add a fair bit of weight but some thin dyneema might work. the only danger with that is the cord acting as a cheesewire on the material so you would need to think about how you do it. to be honest as long as the edges come up just a little it will work fine for keeping water out.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wickes also sell it, labelled as secondary glazing

http://www.wickes.co.uk/secondary-glazing-film-6m2/invt/210014/

It's surprisingly tough stuff considering how thin and flimsy it feels. I'm still using the same piece I cut two years ago for the first outing of my Trailstar.

I didn't make the fancy side walls but just put a piece of duct tape over each corner and poked a hot peg through. The tiny little titanium shepherd hook pegs that Terra Nova ship with their tents are perfect for holding it down.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one Paul, looks a treat. :cool:

Mines a Shewie style tape and hot stab and I used all weather tape.

For anyone looking for this stuff, it's generically a secondary glazing film and available on the net as well as DIY outlets. Some hit it with a hair dryer to shrink it slightly and make it thicker like on window installs, I couldn't bothered to do it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I meant the thin inner stuff, but yeah, it might do a cheesewire. How about shirring elastic ? weights nothing and wouldn't cut anything.
Though from what Rich said, it doesn't sound as though it needs it :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I meant the thin inner stuff, but yeah, it might do a cheesewire. How about shirring elastic ? weights nothing and wouldn't cut anything.
Though from what Rich said, it doesn't sound as though it needs it :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

I think elastic could be a very good idea Mary. I think ill try some lightweight fishing pole elastic as im familiar with it. Will incorporate into mkII design

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE