My version of a Tentipi (old thread)

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi , One more step closer to the finish . The man down the pub came good over the winter with the yellow ripstop nylon for the inner tent. I cut out the inner pattern and took it around for the lady to be stitched up and a zip put in. Well i got it today and started to play around with it , this is it so far .

img1331o.jpg

img1332r.jpg

img1333b.jpg

Thankyou for looking .
Topknot.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Hog, Yes i will be putting in a ground sheet in, but first i'm working out the top bit with ring and toggles so i can remove the inner tent.

Cheers Topknot

T

Terrylen

Hey bud this looks fantastic- really good job !
Where did you get the pattern from? -ive been thinking about buying one since my hex 3 started getting a bit worn- but now i'm really tempted to have a go at making one myself ?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Terrylen, this is how it started.

This is the start of my version of a hex 3 /tentipi . The ripstop nylon was a trade for some leather work. I made the pattern out of a cardboard box to a size that would fit the nylon, because of the nylon size i had to make 10 panels and not 8. This is it so far with the panels cut out. I found a lady to sew it together who used to make tents but now works from home, so its in her hands now for the seams and to put the zip in .

img0834t.jpg

img0869d.jpg

T

Terrylen

looks pretty good so far - A real stroke of luck getting the material from the guy in the pub too :O) lol

T

Terrylen

Have you tried your tipi out - how did it stand up to the weather and what would you change about it ?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
No i have not tried it out . The outside is finished , i'm still working on the inner tent .
Got to stitch all the ring's in place to the top of the inner tent .

img1347g.jpg

Topknot

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, Little bit close to the finish, all the rings and toggles are stitched inplace to the inner and outer. So now i've started on the ground sheet this is it so far. (in half)

img1356m.jpg

Cheers Topknot

T

Terrylen

Hey topknot - looking good - bet you cant wait to get it set up and tried :O):beerchug:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
A couple of photos of the inside of my tent. The first pic show the inner tent and ground sheet all stitched inplace. 2/ Shows how the inner tent is fixs to the outer tent, the black rods in the pockets at the top (smoke opening) came from 2 cheap kites at Morrisons 3/ shows the ventilation opening which can be closed around the pole

img1427l.jpg

img1428k.jpg

img1430.jpg

Thank you for looking
All comments welcome
Topknot.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
hi Topknot

looks great, stunning even you lucked out find an ex tent maker for running it up.
have you though about putting a wider foot on your pole to spread the weight cause the pole seems to be sitting on the seam of the ground sheet
bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE