My take on the Nomad Dandy Woodstove using the BCB Crusader mug.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Hi All,

I had a spare evening so knocked up one the Nimblewill Nomad stoves (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm)

8178841508_7fa8d8b23e.jpg

As you see I've added some extra holes/tent pegs which allow the BCB Crusader cup to be held securely and height above the fire to be adjusted.

8178815671_26e2cf5678_c.jpg

It's made with galvanised steel from some ducting I have for another project so has cost me nothing. Should be used in a well ventilated place so I'm not too worried about the zinc burning off.

I've had a test firing with it and seems to boil water nicely :D

First post with pics hope they come out okay.

Cheers
Bryan

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff, I use one all the time with a crusader mug, and added loads of holes so I'm not blowing down a pipe all the time.
Holds heat well, cheap, and the trangia is always a good back up.
Its important to peg it down on soft ground though.

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
How is it for feeding the fire?
Not too bad, there is a big rectangular opening at the front - not very clear from the pictures above heres a better one.

8179933609_3d73c04a83_c.jpg

I might possibily cut out some more of the front stiffener to improve it further.

I started the fire with the pegs removed and fed it from the top initially until I had a decent fire bed then popped the pegs in.

You can then feed in long sticks from the front as the ends burn down.

Thanks for all the nice comments :eek:

Cheers
Bryan

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
David Morningstar had a bunch of the Nomad Dandy Woodstoves at the Moot that had been laser cut by a friend. They flew out of his hand as soon as he said they were for sale! He won't be sourcing anymore but someone sat next to him in the Mods Corner when we were discussing getting more laser cut as a group buy said they could probably get them done. This design with additional holes for tent peg height adjustment would be good.

Could that person or another volunteer with the right contacts take this on? A couple who were around the fire at the NC also said a friend/family member had access to a laser cutter. Any proven mods would be good to include.

It would be interesting to know what price it would come out at for SS and Ti in a sensible thickness.

As it would be a group buy then it would need to be at cost + P&P for the community. It was also suggested, if successful, that some could be sold on Ebay with proceeds going to support BCUK.

Feedback? Expressions of interest?

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I am meeting my laser cutting mate next weekend and we have been kicking around ideas for improving the design. I like the look of the variable height tent stakes. This would probably make it good for hexi tab fuel as well.

I will ask if there is scope for doing a run for a BCUK group buy once we have settled on a design.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I am meeting my laser cutting mate next weekend and we have been kicking around ideas for improving the design. I like the look of the variable height tent stakes. This would probably make it good for hexi tab fuel as well.

I will ask if there is scope for doing a run for a BCUK group buy once we have settled on a design.

Put me down for x3 if this happens

Mr.punch

Forager
Oct 15, 2012
somerset/devon border

Thanks very much for mine David it came through the postal service fine I just forgot your user name.
ATB
Eric

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Good show. Mine kept me fed and tea'd over six days of the moot. I used wood and a Swedish military Trangia burner in it. One of my wood fires I lit from flint and steel, using charred punk wood and untwisted jute twine as my tinder and kindling:

IMG_20130811_183754.jpg

With wood I have found it works best if you leave about a centimetre gap at the back, then you get a fierce through-draught from front to back, lots of heat and no smoke:

IMG_20130811_185127.jpg

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I was lucky enough to get the last one that Dave had at the moot. We used it a few times & it drew a crowd each time. It is a lot lighter than my old Honey stove, which it has probably replaced. I like the ideas for adding some extra functionality, like adding in holes for tent pegs accros the top to allow for smaller pots etc.. We also discussed if there was a way to use the 'simmer ring plate' (the optional top plate with the hole in it) & maybe the trangia windblock plate as a platform coming out of the front of the stove, level with the base of the grill bit so that you could use 12" plus sticks & feed them in the front 'rocket stove' style.

Chef was talking about a Ti version. I will be seeing my metal working mate tonight so will see he knows how this can be done. There is a new laser cutting shop in a nearby village that I will look at as well.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I was lucky enough to get the last one that Dave had at the moot. We used it a few times & it drew a crowd each time. It is a lot lighter than my old Honey stove, which it has probably replaced. I like the ideas for adding some extra functionality, like adding in holes for tent pegs accros the top to allow for smaller pots etc.. We also discussed if there was a way to use the 'simmer ring plate' (the optional top plate with the hole in it) & maybe the trangia windblock plate as a platform coming out of the front of the stove, level with the base of the grill bit so that you could use 12" plus sticks & feed them in the front 'rocket stove' style.

Chef was talking about a Ti version. I will be seeing my metal working mate tonight so will see he knows how this can be done. There is a new laser cutting shop in a nearby village that I will look at as well.

Sounds promising. Something Dave said at the Moot was that the simmer plate tabs weren't long enough and so the plate could fall down into the stove. His suggestion was to bin the plate, just take the rest of the stove on maneuvers. I suggest any future laser cut versions have longer and wider tabs on the simmer plate so it does the job even when slightly warped from heat. That said, David also points out it draws better when leaving a slight gap at the back resulting in more heat, no smoke.

Perhaps do away with the simmer plate then or just have a drop in half section for the front with longer tabs.

Ti would half the weight. Needs SS or Ti in a thickness that won't warp unduly.

Gailainne also has a bigger flat pack stove he has been developing, something suitable for a few people to sit around, a small draw chimney as well. It isn't a light weight hiker, more a stroll from the car, so SS is the best option but I suppose it could be split between a walking group.

Phil (Chef)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE