My take on the Lynx can stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've made a few of these up and given them away mostly, I've just made another one tonight for a member so thought I'd take some pics along the way. There's some good variations on this stove but this is how I make mine, a lot of it's done by eye but there's a few measurements which will help from the start.

Take one empty can of Lynx, expel all the remaining gas out

Pull the plastic top off and use pliers to get any gas remains out by squeezing the nozzle until the hissing stops

Using a junior hacksaw I start to cut away the metal cap, roughly 2-3mm behind it, just go nice and steady and let the saw do the work, if you force the saw too much the soft ally can tends to bend if the cut bites.

Using a mitre square I measure 46mm from the base of the can and mark four or five times around the circumference

A pipe cutter helps to mark a good line around the can, unfortunately the cans are too soft to cut right through. Filling with water and freezing might be an option if you don't want to do the next stage.

Back to the hacksaw and I cut through the can all the way round following my line

Giving you this, the piece on the left will be the outer and the piece on the right the inner

I forgot to photograph this stage, take the inner piece and file the nozzle end lightly to even up the previous cut, turn the inner onto it's nozzle end, mark and measure 42mm and cut off.

Tidy up the cuts with files and emery paper

Giving you this, I've sanded off some paint on the inner piece

This will allow the JB Weld to bond better

Use a triangular file and make three evenly spaced grooves around the nozzle end

Slide the two pieces together and place in a vice, time for a dry run. If you don't have a vice you can use a hammer and piece of wood if you go gently.

Keep rotating in the vice to make sure the inner presses in evenly. Stop when the inner and outer come together at the bottom.

This is a chance to see how the two pieces will look when finished, try and leave around 1mm of the inner rim extruding from the outer, this will be finished later.

I use JB Weld on my stoves, the friction fit is very good when the two pieces are pressed together so it might not be necessary. I prefer to be safe if other people are using my stoves :)

A thin layer is applied to the sanded area on the inner then back into the vice, slowly pressing the two pieces together making sure it's even all the way round, rotating in the vice if necessary.

Whilst the JB is going off it's time to remove the paint on the stove, Nitromors used to work really well on Lynx cans but they've changed their printing ways recently, I've found it doesn't touch the print now so it's out with the wire wool.

I mark 5mm intervals along the edge of a piece of masking tape and then wrap this around the stove, try and get the edge of the tape about 2mm below the bulge line

I use my mighty Whirlwind Wizard and a 0.7mm bit to drill holes all the way round following the tape, being careful to only drill through the outer layer of can.

Once all the holes are drilled, remove the tape and wire wool over the holes, let the JB Weld go off over night the stove is good to go the next day.

If there's any inner piece standing proud along the rim take a file to it and bring the two edges together. If there's any buckle or dings around the rim use a piece of dowel and a hard surface to roll them out.

The numbers ...

500ml (2cups) of cold tap water
30ml (1oz) meths

Priming took almost 1 minute, I put this down to the stove and fuel being sat in a cool cellar all day. Once the stove had bloomed I put the pot on to boil.

Boil time for 500ml was just shy of 7 minutes, once the pot had boiled I removed the lid and left it to boil until the fuel ran out, which was at 15 and a half minutes.

Here's a vid as promised, I'm still experimenting with the GoPro and didn't realise it needed to be much closer, at least I know for next time. Stick it on 1080p and full screen for a better view.

[video=youtube;yb5fHSUeLOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb5fHSUeLOM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You gave one of these little stoves to HWMBLT, and we were both impressed by it :D It works very, very well indeed :cool:
We did wonder how you'd made such a neat job of it.
Thank you for the tutorial :D

atb,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks that looks like a great little stove, the vid will be interesting, a boil time would be nice to know, if you would please :)

Yeah no probs, I'll find a stopwatch app for the ipad and stick it in the background somehow

Very well put together. It's amazing how much time tutorial takes.

I might have a go at this one as I really (read don't) need an alcohol stove!:eek:

It's remembering to stop and take pictures before charging on that gets me, I've missed out a few with this one again :)

Nice one mate I'll have to have a go at one of these one day.

They're cracking little stoves bud, there's probably a few shortcuts to be done too but I don't have many metal tools, some snips would defo help with the cutting.

You gave one of these little stoves to HWMBLT, and we were both impressed by it :D It works very, very well indeed :cool:
We did wonder how you'd made such a neat job of it.
Thank you for the tutorial :D

atb,
M

There's a few knocking about Mary but I had forgotten you had one. Carol takes my stoves in college for the kids to look at sometimes and shes been bugging me for a tutorial for a while, it's done now

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
I've been making some beer can stoves recently, this looks a more robust version. I will have to give it a go. Thanks for posting.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Made a few of these and they are creaking little stoves.

How the heck did you get them apart after the trial fit? As all mine are friction and are stuck solid. I ask as I fit, then drilled as you did but struggled to not go through the inner wall as it's so close and drills so quick. I now have to drill prior to assembly to avoid ruining it.

Great how too :)

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
Nice one Rich, I'm very impressed, are you coming over to the meet at Britton wood ? I'll bring the small burner I made to fit in my Crusader set and we can compare!

Si

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been making some beer can stoves recently, this looks a more robust version. I will have to give it a go. Thanks for posting.

No probs Noonan, let us know how it goes

Thanks for the tutorial. I'll have to give the Shewbox stove a go :cool:.

Do it mate, we'll see how fast the priming is tonight compared to the Whitebox, I reckon around 10-15 secs max for it to bloom :)

Nice work, thanks.

Cheers Cromm

Made a few of these and they are creaking little stoves.

How the heck did you get them apart after the trial fit? As all mine are friction and are stuck solid. I ask as I fit, then drilled as you did but struggled to not go through the inner wall as it's so close and drills so quick. I now have to drill prior to assembly to avoid ruining it.

Great how too :)

Thanks Martin, if I use the Whirlwind Wizzard I can stop it before it drills into the inner layer, if I use a Dremel it just chews right through. I've only had one casualty so far

Great looking stove :)

Thanks mate, should be on it's way to you tomorrow after I've tested it tonight.

Thanks for this tutorial! I look forward to the video. :You_Rock_

Thanks Two Socks

Nice one Rich, I'm very impressed, are you coming over to the meet at Britton wood ? I'll bring the small burner I made to fit in my Crusader set and we can compare!

Si

I don't think I'm going to make this one Si, I'm hoping to get up to the Cairngorms for a few days.

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
I always get a bulge when I put the 2 halves together, but ive just got a new garage with a vice so may try slowly winding them in with that.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Great tutorial that, thanks, I hope to make one these soon. Just as a side issue, over the xmas break I found some stove making tutorials on Youtube, from a guy in Japan called Tetkoba. Since then I've made several of his capillary hoop stoves, maybe the next one I make, I might remember and take some pictures to do a tutorial, but I won't hold my breath on that one.
As with others I'm also interested in the boil time and fuel usage. Once again great tutorial.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE