My Rowan jelly

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Sep11294.jpg

This was all from 1lb berries and 1lb crab apples...does it always work out so little?

its very nice but rather bitter

and how do you skim it? there was a lot of scum.

has to be jarred quicky, this, it gells very fast.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Thats about the return I get for similar jellies. i sell 12 ounce jars for about £3.50 as a result. its well worth it though, they taste wonderful. good with pork or even just spread on toast. you get a slightly better return with bramleys though.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Seems that you get around half the weight back of what you start with. We've found that making crabapple jelly. My missus always skims the scum off as its boiling away and getting up to temperature. Makes for a clearer jam or jelly.

Andy >>>>>-------------------------------<>

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its very nice, exactly what you would expect. but so BITTER

Im going to try it on pate toast for brekfast

it was 2lb fruit to make 1/2lb jelly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd find that a bit too heavy on the berries, you only need one 'big' spray per half kilo of apples or so.

There's a way to reduce the skimming; if you add a teaspoonful of butter to the boiling strained juice and sugar mix it will stop the froth firming up and needing so much to be removed. Also, if you leave skimming until the froth kind of forms a ring at the edge of the rolling boil you won't be tempted to take off so much that otherwise would settle out to just juice.

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<shrugs>

my recipe book says half and half, plus a pound of sugar to every pint juice.

Also cloves and allspice but I didnt add that (maybe next time)

but less berries will make them go further...why must they grow up `so` high? The council round here have obligingly planted many trees (its not Rowan country) but most are out of reach

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
Ive tried Rowan Jelly for the second year now and this time I added a tsp of Vanila extract.. What a diffrence it makes.. it's almost edable now lol.. I didn't weigh the fruit but used a thin layer of berries on the bottom of the pan and half filled the rest of the pan with cooking apples.. after straining the juice I add 1g of sugar for 1ml of juice.. workes out not too bad.. I've also been told if I add a few mint leaves it takes the "edge" off.. (still to try that though)

didn't know about the butter though.. will have to try that next time also ;) thanks

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Picked the berries from the smallish tree in my front garden today, or at least as high as I could reach - 8lbs - what am I going to do with all that!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jelly, salsa type chutney for game, mincemeat, shove a spray or two into the freezer for Christms decorations :D The birds will have them when you're done.

cheers,
Toddy

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Oh, now you're frightening me.

I think I'm going to make some Jelly with a couple of pints, just to see what it's like (I'm sure there's a recipe around here somewhere) and freeze the rest until I decide what to do.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hey Tengu,

I made some for the first time this weekend, and it worked really well (sorry)...

100_1273-1.jpg

I only used about 2lbs of the 8 I picked, but from those 2lbs I got about 1.5 pts of jelly, and it's so nice (sorry again).

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its grand stuff, isnt it?

Im going to make some more, both for my own use and for people who are particularly in my favour.

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
Hmm.. ok.. maybe I'm doing something wrong then.. is it an aquired taste?? nothing I've tried with it makes me think.. Mmmm I'll have some more. maybe it's just not for me.. lol

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Well I don't know what it's suposed to taste like, as I've never tried any before, but I like mine and I bet it's great with game. Sweet and sour, fruity and, er, well I think it's good stuff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE