My Orkney adventure

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
272.jpgJust back from a couple of weeks on Orkney - which is why I have not been posting much!
Not totally bushy as we rented a cottage but we visited a huge number of Prehistoric sites and digs, the Most Northerly Natural Native Ancient Woodland (a bit stunted for hammocking...), sites associated with Dr John Rae (if you do not know the name then shame on you and get googling!) did lots of walking and nature watching during our tour of the islands. If you have not been to Orkney you are missing out!
A few photos...
Dig on Westray

Woods near Finstown (traces of Bushcraft in the area...)

Salt water flush loos Shapinsay

Brouch Shapinsay

Chicks Shapinsay

Stack Yesnaby

artifacts Skara Brea

Dig Westray133.jpg
Red shank
225.jpg
Ancient woodlands Hoy
214.jpg
Ring of Brodgar
234.jpg
Dr John Rae
243.jpg
Mr John Fenna
314.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks a grand place to be; that's some stack at Yesnaby, almost seems to defy the laws of physics when you consider the batterings it must have taken over the run of time! Thanks for this :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like a great trip, somewhere I'd love to visit. Thanks for the heads up on John Rae, just read up on wikipedia. What a bloke!

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Nice visit, John. I love the last two pics, epic! I do like that Mr. John Fenna bloke and his every bit as 'outdoorsy' resume as that of the Dr. Rae chap! Thanks for sharing!:notworthy

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Brochs are terrific. Do you believe that they had an overhanging timber platform of some sort on top to make them defensible? I cannot see the point if they didn't.

Did you know that the layout of the Skara Brae houses is similar, with the beds and dresser, to the houses found at Durrington Walls near Stonehenge as reconstructed in the new visitors' centre there? Grooved ware pottery in both places too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Brochs are terrific. Do you believe that they had an overhanging timber platform of some sort on top to make them defensible? I cannot see the point if they didn't.

Did you know that the layout of the Skara Brae houses is similar, with the beds and dresser, to the houses found at Durrington Walls near Stonehenge as reconstructed in the new visitors' centre there? Grooved ware pottery in both places too.
Those Orcadians (Orcs?) got everywhere!
I have heard tell that Maes Howe inspired Silbury Hill as well...

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for sharing John, I really need to get my hairy butt up to Skara Brea, i reckon i could happily live in a house like those dwelling nowadays

Olly

Feb 25, 2007
Co. Durham
Orkney is a fantastic place, been there several times. Love exploring all of the old chambered tombs. Really want to back to see the new discoveries at the Ness of Brodgar

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Orkney is a fantastic place, been there several times. Love exploring all of the old chambered tombs. Really want to back to see the new discoveries at the Ness of Brodgar

Both last year and this I was wanting to see this site ... but going when we did the dig was not open :(
The Links of Norland dig on Westray was and, with us having just bimbled up on a walk around historic sites (Castle, beach, Viking settlement etc), one of the lead archaeologs showed us around the dig in detail, taking us into the finds store etc, answered all our silly questions with a smile and let us field walk a bit of midden site (the whole site is a midden!) and took about 2 hours to educate us .. and invited us back for more (insisting we took trowels with us next time :) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE