My new lot of old tools. :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I have gotten my hands on some tools here recently. From todays carboot sale I got a nice old balpeen hammer and a large auger. Not a bad deal for 6 pounds total :)

2014-03-23+10.18.23.jpg

Also, when I helped a friend clearing out a house the other week I got some things they were about to throw out. Among these were a nice vice and a grinding wheel that I am happy with.

2014-03-23+10.19.44.jpg

In the lot there were also some things that I do not know the use for. First there is this hammer that belonged to my friends granddad once. I haven`t cleaned it up, but it is made of brass and steel.

2014-03-23+10.20.36.jpg

2014-03-23+10.21.06.jpg

Is it to hit soft metals with? Does anybody know the intended use for such a hammer? And does anyone know the use of the following item? I don`t know anything about it but it looked interesting to me.

2014-03-23+10.22.37.jpg

2014-03-23+10.23.04.jpg

The largest hole has a diameter of < 1cm. That rules a spaghetti-measurer out already...

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nice haul :)

Not sure what the little clamp is but fascinated to hear ideas

Brass faced hammer is usually used on hard surfaces, but because the hammer is softer it saves wear and marking on the item you are hitting. From memory.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Looks like a brakeline flaring tool to me as well.
The red part on the hammer shaft looks like some Atlas forge metalworking hammers I bought for my wife ages ago.
The hammers have a softer face than what you hit so it doesn't mark the surface, often they have one copper side and a rawhide side.
I have one made by THOR, in Shirley, Birmingham.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks for all input here guys! I followed hogs link and saw this picture:

flaring_93fb.gif

That got me thinking, so I went through the box of stuff I salvaged and found the counterpart to this set:

2014-03-23+14.02.06.jpg

And they go together:

2014-03-23+14.02.33.jpg

Made by "imperial brass" in chigago US. I`d have never guessed what it was for.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Non-ferrous hammers are great for working with thin metal that you don't want to mar. They are also a must-have for any blacksmith that needs to straighten red-hot iron that's been twisted. When twisted, the stock will bow a bit and needs to be smacked back straight on an wooden stump with a soft hammer. Lots of guys use ball bats and such, but a lead/copper/brass mallet tends to last longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE