My new fire kit (flint and steel)

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Damn, that is a chunk of flint! Nice vid, maybe you could talk a little about where you got it, first impressions etc.

I still want to find some good info on tinders other than charcloth.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Not yet, will do! Tried thistle heads and cotton wool and maybe a few other things I've forgotten (no luck). I'm trying to get away from prepared tinders, would rather be able to just go and start fire with a few found materials. I think the bow drill is next on my to-learn list :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I went out yesterday and was looking for tinder but everything was soaked. I did find scattered about some foot high plants with fluffy bits that I can't identify and that went up very well using the charcloth method. It would not take a spark on it's own though.

I'm pondering on whether to buy some Amadou as there is some on ebay at the moment although it's a bit pricey? Never had any luck finding Horse Hoof fungus on my wanderings.

Steve.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Nice video, cheers for sharing Steve.
I use either cramp balls or charcloth to take the spark, then follow this up with some thinly sliced birch polypore wrapped around the ember. It's usually enough to get a fire going, but can be troublesome in very damp conditions.

Good luck, and keep the videos coming!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE