My new EDC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

Just thought i would post a couple of pics of my new every day carry.

I have been after something to replace my old Swiss army style penknife and thought I would treat myself to this.
1f5f0575-b4f1-dbcd.jpg

I was also looking at the spyderco ukpk as I wanted something legal to carry in the uk (or at least as legal as you can be with the way our knife laws are) but this one me over with a slightly more traditional (read less military/law enforcement) style and hopefully less threatening looking I I am ever given a stop and search.

I had never heard of rough rider before but can across it on the HH website and thought I would give it a go at just over £10.
Ordered yesterday with standard delivery and it arrived today!

Very sharp out of the box but I think a bit of work with the water stones tonight will improve on it even more.
Feels nice in the hand, te folding action feels very secure and the bone (not sure if real or just bone effect) looks great with the brass.

The blade decal is likely to be worn off very soon by use but not to bothered ad my only gripe is that the brass rifle on the handle is a winchester and it would have been nice to have had a baker rifle, brown bess or something of that ilk but I new this before I bought it so just being picky.

All in all, subject to a bit more testing, tips seems a good little buy!

Hope you like the pics, Hamster

d5cde816-b724-4822.jpg

d5cde816-b7b1-e966.jpg

d5cde816-b7fa-e26e.jpg

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
A lot of people are carrying British Legal Non Locking folder, But a lot more are carrying what would be classed as illegal. I myself carry a TK4 along with others, it depends on where you go each day to what you carry in your pocket. For instance if I was going to the town for a drink then I would carry no blade at all. Most days If I'm out walking I will have a knife on me with a slight thought on what I may need it for. I am 47 years old & would be very unlikely to be stopped and searched for no reason and having a reason for the knife is as much as having a blade anyway. I am not trying to shove the Law or make a nuisance of my self its just what I think I will need that day. Sorry for the Rant.

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Ive had a few RR and all have been good solid knives and sharp out of the box, and amazing value for money, i like the box with this one as well cool picture, i carry between a opie#4-5 or if got cargo shorts/trousers on a vic explorer, that RR will be a nice EDC for you,

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Geordienemeis,

I couldnt agree more and should have specified it is an EDC where i have a reason to have a knife with me.

I would usually have it with me, for example, at work where it has a multitude of uses (though kept in a bag to and from as central London can be a bit iffy and if needed i would state i am transporting it between 2 places i have a reason for having it - home and work, when i am out having a wander in the woods (whittling) or when camping though i usually have a fixed blade with me too in this case.

I wouldnt consider having one with me if out at the pub, shopping etc... though would like to know if anyone has come up with a "valid" reason to carry a small non locking penknife in general as i like the idea of having it in my pocket most of the time but dont think the "just in case i need it" line would stand up with your average bobby.

It doesnt help that i keep my hair short (think bic razored) and have quite a few visible tattoos. I dont consider myself to have the stereotypical attitude most people would associate with how i look but most people, at least on first impression, do unfortunately judge a book by its cover. :(

Cheers, Hamster

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
You don't need a valid reason to carry a sub 3-inch non-locking folder as an edc.
If you got stopped with it in your pocket it will suffice to say that you always carry it
or for paring fingernails or peeling fruit.There are places where even this is prohibited
but in general only non-edc knives require a Valid reason to carry.
Cheers , Simon

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Ive carried a pocket knife since i was 11 and carry one all the time, well other than going out for meals, i dont see a opinel #4-5 as scary, plus ive never been searched and ive shaved hair and sleeved tattoos , ive usualy got 2-3 of my kids with me and dont class myself as a threat infact i work with elderly with dementia, a knife is a tool and is only used when needed, i think some folk get to worried about the uk laws as as long as under 3inches and non locking plus not out in public you should be fine,

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Its about time they stopped making people un easy about carrying a tool and just bring out a certificate for carrying them same as a shotgun licence, a pain i no but atleast you wouldnt feel like your doing anything wrong having said that i carry one all the time and have done for years

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
#2-3-4-5 have no lock ring, i carry a locking #6 in my backpack, i did carry a 8 but changed it to the 6 as a tad smaller, i like the 4-5 for pocket carry,

gypsy slings

Forager
Sep 2, 2011
yorkshir
ive got one of them mate and thair a great littel folder and nice to use the edge is great i ant had to sharpen mine yet and av had it for about 2 month now and still razor sharp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE