My Lucky Day

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I would just like to share with you some news concerning a bit of good fortune that has come my way. I have found myself a bit of land to bushcraft on, with the landowners permission. Its only 10 acres, pretty much wild meadow with a bit of scrub and a wild pond on it. I have been given permission to camp, hunt, fish and even practice my archery. It sounds that it may be possible to go the whole hog there for a weekend or possibly even longer

I'm filled with trepidation as I would not like to jeopardize this fantastic bit of good fortune, where should I start and what should be my primary concerns?

All advices gratefully received.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
has it got trees for hammocking?

If someones been kind enough to let you use the land I'm sure if you stick to the leave no trace/ take only photos type of philosophy you'll be fine.

Warm Regards

Rob

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Wayne

Keep it to yourself and don't let anyone else screw it up for you. Like Rob said leave no trace or even help tidy things up if that's what the landowner wants.

Chuffed for you though mate.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I recon a good start would be to survey and map the area, making detailed notes on flora and fauna, ground type, and even where litter/damage has been left in the past. You can give a copy to the owner and update yours as you see changes throughout the year. If he see's that you are meticulous about caring for it, he's unlikely to blame you for someone elses trespasses. It might also help to establish a semi-permanent (yet entirely removeable) encampment away from any sensative areas - that way any infiltrators are more likely to keep to your prepared area than do untold damage to the whole thing.

Sounds like you have come up trumps, ATB

Ogri the trog

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Great news and well worth getting it right to start with so you don't upset what I guess will always be a fragile agreement .

Rough meadow and wild ponds are not natural long-term habitats - the one turns into woodland the other swamp. So the first thing I would do is find out off the owners what their long-term plans are for the area. If they want a pond - that will need managing and you can help there. If they want meadow that needs hard work too. If they want at least part of it to develop you could help by planting a small area with birch, moutain ash etc. Put in a dozen or more 6 foot birch now and they will be 18 foot in six to eight years and self seeding. Watching scrubland develop into young woodland is facinating and the wildlife species grows every year.

But first, just get to know it!

Cheers,

Broch

Jul 6, 2009
birmingham
wow, that sounds ideal, i`d love to find a piece of land like that but for now i`ll have to just stick to my allotment lol.

how did you come by such a thing, did you just simply ask the land owner or is the land owner a friend?

ant.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Well I have had a bit of a look round, It needs plenty of work and it looks like i care more about the land than the owner:). Bloody tractor tyres everywhere, the pond is so overgrown that its next to useless. Few trees really, a couple of oak , ash and a couple of different willows. One thing I did find were a couple of Sloe bushes:). Not seen those round here before. The rabbits were a nice size and plenty wood pigeon about. Thanks for the advices.

Ant- I have had dealings with him before but never thought to ask about it until yesterday.:D.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE