My Leatherman Broke :'(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
It's only a minor problem with my Wave (hard to describe; the little prong things where the handle meets the plier-head have broken off and now the tool won't hold itself closed) and although the tool is still largely functional, I keep thinking that it's only a few years old and such a malfunction shouldn't be happening :mad:! It's still covered by the 25 year guarantee and I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle to send it back for repair... or whether I should put up with a broken tool for a short time while I gather funds for a brand spanking new Charge! Yes, people, I've been waiting for this excuse to fritter away my hard earned cash since I first heard about the new tool!

Anyway, as is the way in situations such as these I come to ask advice from those more experienced than myself; Do I send back my Wave and have it reparied, temporarily losing my most trusty tool for the sake of what is essentially a minor annoyance, or do I spend the majority of this month's wages on a nice new Charge? Or (magical third option) get the Charge then send off the Wave and end up with two spiffy tools!

Oh, the decisions I must make!

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Send it back and get it mended or replaced. At the same time your providing Leatherman with a broken tool (it may be the first time they have seen a break in that area) for them to test and improve on in future.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Definitely get it away to them, their customer service is first class in my experience. If you're concerned about being without a tool at all hold on to it until you can get your Charge, then send it in.

You can always use a spare. My Wave is now piggybacked on my Dartmoor in a little Arkitis compass pouch, along with a few other useful odds and ends.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
008everydaycarry2602056uv.jpg

012everydaycarry2602051oi.jpg

I have a Charge XTi and what a great addition to my EDC! And it gets used everyday, it will never replace my real knives and purpose made tools but as a first response tool on my belt it is an excellent bit of kit.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Charge range to anyone.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I chipped a blade on my leatherman PSTII last year and sent it back for repair.. Theysent me a brand new replacement out, no quibble. Their customer service is legendary for being first class.

UK warranty repairs

If you have a problem with your Leatherman® tool which you feel is covered by Leatherman's 25 year Warranty (terms & conditions below) and you live in the UK, please return the tool, along with a covering letter to:

Leatherman Warranty (UK)
Whitby & Co
Aynam Mills
Canal Head North
Kendal
Cumbria
LA9 7BY

25 Year Guarantee (Limited Warranty)

If within 25 years from date of purchase you find any defect in material or workmanship with your Leatherman® Multi-Tool, return it to Whitby & Co at the above address.

This warranty does not cover abuse, alteration, unauthorised or unreasonable use of your Leatherman® Multi-Tool. This warranty does not cover sheaths, accessories, or oxide finishes.

To obtain service in the UK, return your tool to the address shown above. When you send your tool be sure to send it by registered post. We cannot accept responsibility for items that do not reach us.

US Warranty repairs
Shipping via UPS
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
ATTN: Warranty
12106 NE Ainsworth Circle
Portland, OR 97220

Note: Your package is automatically insured for up to $100.

Shipping via US Mail (please insure it)
Step 2 Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
ATTN: Warranty
P.O. Box 20595
Portland, OR 97294

Note: If you are an International Leatherman tool owner, you may choose to return it to Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. or a local Authorized Repair Center for repair. At our option, we may replace the product.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I was about to give you the addy to send it back to but it's been done

OK leatherman charge a lot but you don't get any hassel with any problems that people get with them. They will quite likely send you a new one just because it speeds things up for you.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
My Wave has developed a "faul" but I don't know if it is covered by the warranty or whether they would consider it just as normal wear.
When closed the handle "flop" open about ten degrees. The tool is fine in use and I have absolutely no roblem with it otherwise but I am a bit of a perfectionist in these things and it seems to me to be a fault. What do you think?
Regards
Tack

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The Wave has a modification that has placed a small clip at the end of the handles to stop the pliers flopping open, and also to hold it in the open position. I don't know how old this is but I do know that floppy handles are a common thing in older leathermans. I've seen guys whose leathermans were like butterfly knives!!

I do remeber a guy lending a leathermans off of a training NCO to twist some 14 Guage wire. He broke the needlenose pliers at the tip and had to replace them, as the NCO in question was a tad upset and this was the dark ages after all when heads would be twisted off by nasty NCO's!!

Anyway, he replaced them out of his own pocket, and then asked if anybody wanted to but the old leathermans for £10. Somebody said yes, have you got the receipt for it? He did and gave him the receipt, and the guy took it back to the shop and they replaced it for free!! Brand new tool for £10!

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Thanks for the info, peeps. I still have one of the bits that broke off (there were snappings-off involved and not just wear and tear :shock: ) and I'll probably end up sending off the tool to the above address next weekend, or something. The better knife steel etc. on the charge is still so tempting, though! Is it worth upgrading?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
As a new convert, I would catagorically say yes !!! :eek:):
The blade steel is better, the blades are bigger, the operation is smoother, the tool-bits are better, the locks are stronger, the pliers are bigger and stronger.

All in all, a big step forward, :biggthump

send the wave back for repair or replacement. Then sell it and buy a charge :naughty:

Martin

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Not sure if anyone else has seen this but I have seen several waves where the plain edge blade "bottoms" when cloased and constantly blunts the edge, even folding a fine edge over!

I have a Charge and have found it to be significantly better than the Wave. Don't like the sheath? Try Maxpedition gear! :eek:):

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
I caved in and got the Charge... When it comes to sharp shiny clicky things my willpower conveniently tends to quickly commit seppuku, so all it took was one look in Blacks and now I'm skint!

Light wallet aside, I'm mightily impressed with this new toy. It takes all the best features of the Wave, gets rid of all the little niggles I had with it and beefs everything up by a truly noticeable amount... and to top it all off they give it crap scissors! That's my only gripe with it; the scissors on the Wave were excellent and I've always been of the mind that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! That said, I can see that the previous design of scissors (which used the steel on the outside of the tool as a spring) would not be compatible with the new locking interior blades and if that's the compromise that has to be made then I'm quite happy to make it.

Also, one thing I'm going to have to try is trimming down a Spark-Lite firestarter to see if it'll fit in the tool when placed in the bit-adapter... just an idea, but it could turn the Charge into a total survival tool!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE