My latest sewing project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - here we are ... my latest smock.
Made from 100% downproof cotton cambric, dyed with Dylon wash-in Olive (2 boxes!)YKK zip, cheap buttons, polyester thread.
Based on a 1960s SAS Smock, reshaped and fitted to me.
Sewn on a Toyota SuperJeans machine.
The badges are all on Velcro.
This is a very lightweight smock intended for hotter weather work and is fairly windproof and has been treated with Nikwax proofing to make it shower proof at best.
The photos were taken just before I went off to work giving Campers at "Top of the Woods" campsite a Bushcraft/foraging walk and firelighting/Nettle cordage demo/have-a-go session.
P7230001.jpg
P7230002.jpg
P7230003.jpg
P7230004.jpg

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Looks really nice John. Can you tell me some more about the fabric. I am currently looking for cotton or cotton/mix that is about the same weight/thickness as the current British Army smock and trouser material, but in a solid colour.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks really nice John. Can you tell me some more about the fabric. I am currently looking for cotton or cotton/mix that is about the same weight/thickness as the current British Army smock and trouser material, but in a solid colour.

I got the fabric - think of a heavy cotton sheet weight - from http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/textileexpressfabrics (no affiliation etc) and had to dye it myself.
If you find a 100% cotton of the sort you mention please let me know as I would love some too!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Ha. No. Although your origins may lie buried in the mists of time, it was just the right word and it is more than ten characters long!

Z

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I got the fabric - think of a heavy cotton sheet weight - from http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/textileexpressfabrics (no affiliation etc) and had to dye it myself.
If you find a 100% cotton of the sort you mention please let me know as I would love some too!
I know a shop that may have something similar. It is a nice old fashioned shop, but only opens on certain days due to the owners health.
I might try and get there this week

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
The next project will be leather neck braces sold at a specially reduced rate to anyone claiming to need one after looking at the pics of the Smock.

Good job, something special about having a need and personally making something that fills it rather than simply going straight to eBay.

D.B.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
For leather neckbraces I recommend the Rorke's Drift Model.

Larry%20Taylor%20%20Zulu%20(1964).jpg

Last edited:

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I just popped into my favorite shop, as they said I could have some continuos zip if I needed.

Whilst there I saw the green material sitting on the side, whilst having a look the owner said I could have it as it was just a sample they had been sent. I told I did not want to be to cheeky as I had come in for some of the zip he offered me a few weeks ago.

They insisted and then asked if I wanted any green mesh material. So ended up with about 1.5x1 m of that, the green cotton and about 2 m of YKK zip all FOC. As they refused to take any money from me, I stuck a few £ in the charity pot of their choice.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE