My latest cookset

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have been toying with several cooksets and trying to get a lightweight compact set together. I settled on the MSR kettle and mug as the main items and continuing with the Titanium theme bought a folding spork.

The stove is a home-made twin-walled pellet tin alcohol burner. I wrapped it with glass-fibre string for a pre-heat wick and it works like a charm boiling 500ml of water in 3.45 and flaming out at 4.30 using 1oz/30ml of Meths.

I went to B&Q today and got a small sheet of Aluminium and made a wind shield and use part of a bird feeder cage as the pot stand.

I have been using this set up minus the wind shield for two weeks at work. I normally have a couple of 'Oat so simple' sachets at 10am and have either a pack of uncle bens rice or a pasta and sauce mix at lunch.

I found I only need to bring the pasta to a boil then leave it to stand 5 mins in the pot and it's ready. Makes a nice change from sarnies!

After an incident with some porridge the other day I have added a scouring pad and a little bottle of washing up liquid:eek:

Everything you see in the picture minus the liquid weighs 10.2 Ounces or 289 grams. I would like to fit a couple of ounces of Meths in the kit as well but I will need to find a stubby bottle that fits.

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-2.jpg

Hope this is of use to someone..

Steve.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat :)

JohnC had a great idea for a meths bottle that just holds enough, and it'll fit inside your kit. Little metal bottles that energy drinks come in :D

cheers,
Toddy

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks for the bottle suggestions. I only have 60mm height to play with though and all the 30ml bottles I have seen are over 70mm high:( Its a shame as three 30ml bottles would otherwise fit perfect.

Steve.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I had a model varnish bottle that was the width of a coke can and close to 6cm tall. Unfortunately I can't find it right now to confirm.

Not sure about your washing up liquid mate. I'd use that bottle for meths, and scrub out with water and a cut down scouring pad.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
That washing up bottle is only 10ml.

I have just realized that if I flip the stove on it's side within the cup I have room for a 80mm high bottle by 35mm width so I should be able to get something that at least holds 60ml, enough for two boils.

Steve.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for the offer Shewie but I have a cosy under construction made from some silvery stuff I found at work, I think it is laminate floor underlay?

Steve.

That should work mate, the stuff I have is the bubble wrap with silver on both sides. Let me know how you get on, it's always good to find new materials for stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE