my latest baskets

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is that time of year again :)
Every year I make a couple of baskets, usually one "bucket" style and one "Melon" style.
This year I rang the changes a bit putting two extra ribs in the Melon to give it a flatter base and with the Bucket, flaring the sides outwards and using alternating bands of my materials.
Both baskets use local willow - bark on for the Melon and peeled for the bucket - and blackberry brambles ... plus rawhide to bind the Melon's first hoops and nettle cordage to start the melon's weavers off.
It is all experimental and I am basically self taught after on lesson at the Moot several years ago.
003.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They're excellent Mr Fenna, it's a skill I desperately want to acquire. Had a go at teaching my self but would like to spend a few hours with someone who knows what they're doing. Nice colours on the bucket one - they look nice and robust too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And the materials were all free!:)
Some will tell you that brambles are weak and fragile - I have one basket made of brambles that has been in constant use for several years now:)
Brambles "Age" to a nice brown.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
They're excellent Mr Fenna, it's a skill I desperately want to acquire. Had a go at teaching my self but would like to spend a few hours with someone who knows what they're doing. Nice colours on the bucket one - they look nice and robust too.

GB you could try this lady: http://naturallyuseful.co.uk/

I did a basket course course with her last year as she's based just down the road from me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE