My knapping kit and some points

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I recently got the flint knapping bug again and while out and about found a superb abandoned chalk quarry and loads of decent flint nodules.
My kit comprises leather lap and hand protection, stag antler bopper/billet, new copper bopper/billet, two pressure flaking tools and some tough stones for abrading and whacking stubborn nodules and percussion flaking!

010-1.jpg

The sort of nodules l found laying about...

008-7.jpg

Couple of points and one mounted to a 6 foot length of Hazel spear fashion using pine pitch and Whitetail deer backstrap sinew...

011-1.jpg

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Not too sure really without looking it up, someone else hopefully may know?

Personally I use antler, copper and hard stone for percussion flaking and all work well. Sometimes the antler wont budge a flake so I will use the copper and if that fails the stone usually works. Why not use the stone first then? Well sometimes it smashes the flake to smithereens whereas the softer billets dont. I haven't enough experience to have worked out a pattern yet?

Copper is regarded as traditional or even Paleo as even Otzi had copper tools on him 5000 years ago!

If you have no flint you can use glass. The bottom of glass bottles work fine for arrow heads. Larger non-toughened plate glass is also good. Glass is the easiest to work with as it comes pre-made in the right thickness which is half the battle! Failing glass you could try ceramic toilet cisterns or sinks if you see one dumped, I know these knap well.

Steve.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice work now that is a chunk of flint ya could make a few bucks on

Yep these tubular pieces are nice and this was one of the smaller ones! It has a lovely ring to it when struck and seems solid with no cracks or nasty stuff inside. Had to lump it quite a way back to my van but worth it. If I ever go to a Bushy meet I guess I could bring some along for trade maybe?

Steve.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
Couple of points and one mounted to a 6 foot length of Hazel spear fashion using pine pitch and Whitetail deer backstrap sinew...

011-1.jpg

Steve.

Impressive! I particularly like the tanged speahead, very beaker style. Were you basing them any prehistoric designs in particular?

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
Hi all,
that flint looks great.I would like to have a try at flint knapping, but sadly no flint round here.Can i ask a question, why do you flint knappers use copper tools?Is there a reason for it, or is it just a traditional material to use?Sorry thats 2 questions.
Regards Chris

Copper knapping is considered modern knapping as opposed to 'abo' authentic knapping in which only wood, stone, antler and ivory are used (no moose has yet been found in prehistoric stone industries). However while no copper has ever been found anywhere in the world being used for pressure flaking, a few finds of copper billets and bopper heads has been made showing copper for percussion was used but not common, so technically copper bopping could be considered abo. Also post contact people such as Australian Aboriginals and American Indians quickly began to use iron in the production of their points and well as developing a preference for man made glass over stone. So technically bottle botton knapping with iron could be considered abo.

The two main reasons for using copper are it's easier than antler, antler needs constant tip maintenance and the tip larger so less pressure can be applied meaning shorter flakes and less thinning. Notching is very easy with copper and very difficult with antler, modern knappers notch with ease and it's a minor afterthought when making a point. For stone age knappers it was a major headache and they never really came up with an ideal solution. The second reason copper is used is because steel is too hard and wont grip, so when pressure is applied slips off. Copper is soft enough for the stone to dig into the copper, create a tiny groove and let the copper prise a flake away.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Nice work. I went to Grimes Graves in Norfolk a few year ago. totally changes my view on our neolithic ancesters. the flint mines are quite deep and they had obviously been there extracting and working the flint for quite a while. We were lucky that on the Sunday we went it was part of a weekend visit by a local knapper I'm glad I had my folding stool as I was there for a long time watching him make various flint tools.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
No Paul I don't base my points on a particular design and just let the flake evolve to what it wants to be. I normally come unstuck at certain parts where the edge becomes rounded and thick with no platform like in the second point from the left. It's not quite symmetrical on the right side as it goes into the tang and I struggled to get any flakes off at this part and don't like bashing it hard at this stage as I have broke a few doing this. I could diamond grind a new platform and get some flakes off and pretty it up a bit but feel it's cheating!

I have only started using Copper recently so am familiarising myself to it.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE