My friction fire journey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I spent Saturday through to Sunday in the woods this weekend and made some great friends
I was also with a friend who teaches friction fire. He kindly gave me a one on one lesson and I managed an ember in about 15 mins of tuition I was very very happy. I turned into a big kid when I saw a burning ember :)
jynazu8u.jpg

Since the weekend I hadn't managed to practise at all because I hadn't made a bow. How ever I had a bit of time and walked out of my house and up into a wood. I source a bit of hazel and got straight to making a bow.
ge3a7ysu.jpg

Once I got back home a little finishing off and set to making FIRE!!!!! My favourite thing in the world.
I struggled at first as I had my bearing block end of the drill was creating too much friction causing the drill to stop rotating alone with the fact my bow string was too slack agian causing the string to slip rather than rotate.
After an hour of problem solving and fine tuning. I managed to crack it and got an ember. Which I blew to flame in a jute twin nest.
I was super happy as it's one thing getting an ember with an expert there teaching where your going wrong. But doing it alone was very satisfying

madazymu.jpg
ase9a9y8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Well done mate it's a great feeling :) and Jason has huge enthusiasm for teaching the bow drill and I'm sure will be available at any time to work though any problems you encounter

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Congrats! I still remember my first successful bow drill, I even have it on film (taped my effort to ask for pointers). I was like :dancer:

Make many more embers and then start experimenting with different woods and in humid conditions. Have fun!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well done mate! Great job! :)

I was absolutely thrilled when I got my first, I've probably reached about 25 now, it's good fun! I've have to give it a break with my finger now :).

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Well done mate it's a great feeling :) and Jason has huge enthusiasm for teaching the bow drill and I'm sure will be available at any time to work though any problems you encounter

As you said Jason is a really great guy and very good at teaching friction fire. He is a top top bloke.

It's just practise practise practise now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE