My food plan for 7 day SUP /Bushcraft Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I'd go with tablet for a kick when needed. Other favourite is Kendal Mint Cake, but that can be an acquired taste and a little goes a long way.

Also, if they weren't mentioned earlier, oxo cubes are worth the effort IMHO. There's a veggie version too, I believe. I used to have curried OXO, but not sure where I got them - might not have been OXO brand - as they made rations a bit better when out for some time.

bearbait

Hi Susanne,

Might be worth you googling Logan Bread for your trip? Seemingly numerous recipes but it has hit the button for me. Experimentation and your nutrition knowledge will help you get your recipe right. No cooking needed once in use.

Have a good trip.

Best wishes...

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Tablet over Mint cake every time for me.
Its interesting how different folk do it, a lot seems to be about knowing what works for you. Personally on long dyas or multi day trips I could easily get all the calories and vitamins from, say, Marmite and mars bars, but thers only so much of that I can take, actually none at all ! When. Doing a lot of ling distance stuff I found that I got sick of sweet and wanted savoury so for me its about what I want to eat. I know that if it came to it I could do that, but prefer to carry the extra weight and have things I like.
horses for courses I guess.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I look at it like this

If after a minimum of a week away.
I'v not been short of food or energy during the trip and when I get back iv not lost too much weight or really craving some basic food type...then I reckon iv got the balance about right

And yes, good tablet is the food of kings!.
I often take tins (well, in my own little tubs)of condensed milk on winter trips.
left out overnight its about the best thing iv ever had with my breakfast and coffee on a dark, cold, and snowy morning

Logan bread - Ah ok yes. I know that stuff. Awesome... I make it that...

Tablet... suggaaaarrrr.... Brrr..

Thank you for all of your awesome help and suggestions.

I am off on the trip tomorrow...

See you all when I get back!

What a great forum!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ground Chia seeds make more sense than whole, the seeds come out the other end intact and some goodness is lost.

I really rate the stuff, fantsastic food for what you are doing although I'd want to have more of a balanced diet TBH, taking other seeds/nuts etc. Chia is great for the 'I've just eaten some frogspawn' look,.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Over a week I wouldn't be too concerned about the diet being unbalanced, you aren't going to run into trouble in that time. The mixture of foods doesn't look bad, it might be a bit short on fibre but whether or not that's a problem depends to some extent on the individual digestive tract. I like peanut butter and marzipan as concentrated energy sources that also provide useful amounts of protein and fat but it really depends on what the individual person likes and can stomach for a week. I was surprised how quickly one gets bored with trail food and how much one craves fresh fruit after only a few days.

So what food worked on your week away then?

Hey! Yep back.

What worked and what didn't work...

Awesome - Ate it every day. Do it again for SURE

Marching Tea - drink mix with athletic drink, maple, cayenne, and a bit of palmin fat: This ROCKS.

I had steady energy all day every day. Great way to put calories in.
Note: Palmin management. It does melt in the heat so I had to double bag it but because its all coconut it did not go rancid or anything..

Chia seeds: Absolutely.

I found I could eat these any time and always find them appetizing
Leaves you feeling very satisfied

Nuts: Yep

Ate lots of them. For breakfast, with cheese for lunch, during the day, with dinner, as a late night snack...

Lovely but did not eat this every day...

Oatmeal - very tasty with nuts and chia, protein drink and palmin but weather so hot I did not always feel like a hot breakfast.

Mainly breakfast was nuts, chia seeds, and coffee and some cheese
Calories from marching tea were the best.

Soups and so on for dinner... great. Actually the cool thing was that I was so well nourished during the day that dinner was really mostly a mouth satisfaction thing.

Didn't touch it

Flour - mainly because would have taken too long to mess about with it... but would still take it.

Conclusion

The strategy of having high fat constant all day nutrition really worked for me.
No digestive issues, PLENTY of energy, very low hassle in the morning and evening due to cooking needs.

I did a straight 6 hours of paddling every day often against strong headwinds and never felt fatigued.
I lost only 2lbs during the whole trip

Be doing it again!

Thanks for asking buddy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE