My first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
First spoon
I have posted this in the british blades forum as well. :)

I have been making knives for a while know but I have not used them much. I have seen various threads about making a noggin or a carved spoon so I thought I would have a bash.

I chopped down a dead branch from a tree that was already down. I think it was a birch of some sort. The wood was already dry as it’s the summer the Gransfors axe made very short work of it as its got a great edge on it. a very fine convex edge its seems to be a half flat half convex axe.

gr001fu.jpg

I used the axe to strip off the outer layers of the wood that were a little soft and spalted. I then used the big knife (known as the rubbish knife) to do most of the shaping. I used the back of the axe to baton with while holding the rubbish knife to remove lots of material and to thin it down to start shaping the handle. The rubbish knife I could use like a yari plane. I could hold the wood down so an end was pushed against the ground and using the curved front of the blade, push down with it to take lots of material off. The wren was used for the making of the hole in the end and for final finishing. No other tools were used not even files or sand paper.

carvedspoon.jpg

During this time my daughters were running about collecting autumn fruits. As we planned to make some windfall coolie. We collected some quince, wind fall apples, hips and some blackberries and chopped them up using the rubbish knife. We put them in the pot with some water and some sugar and they had it after lunch. This is why the spoon has a purple end as it was used to make and serve the coolie.

In the picture you can see the original branch, the axe, the wren and the rubbish knife. In hindsight I think I needed a bigger branch as the spoon is quite narrow and the bowl part is only about as wide as my thumb but I am quite happy for a first attempt.

Cheers.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Well done mate!!! And it's good to see your spoon being put to good use straight away. :)

Looks like we both had a good weekend out playing with our new Grannys!!!!
I spent the weekend camping with friends and splitting logs for the fire in a very "manly" fashion with my Scandinavian forest axe. I could have used my hatchet for that, but where's the fun in that??? :rolleyes:

Martin

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one, you will soon be addicted to making spoons, forks, bowls etc, i know i am, made a couple of tea spoons out of a hazel branch, a larger spoon out of a lump of birch and a small bowl from a birch branch at the weekend, 10p piece shown for scale - gots spoons etc in various states of manufacture all over the place. :D

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Well done Lord Farquhar. Love the spoon and the kit.

I especially like the your little knife the 'wren' with the dark brown handle (can't think why ;) ) - Do you know where I gould get hold of one ?

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
It’s a beautiful knife.

I have been searching for reference of it on www.britishblades.com and on this forum - I found references to it going back a year or so, always referred to as Lord Farquhar's wren.

I like it a lot. I think that I may just have experienced kit envy.

I' think I'll PM him.

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
RovingArcher said:
Nice work for your first, congratulations! :) I like the rubbish knife, I had one very similar when I was a very young man. Is that some of your handiwork?

Maver, nice work.

hi
yes thanks its my user at the moment and its made from rubbish :)

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Lord Farquhar.

They are really wonderful ! You have a real gift there.

I'm a sculptor and a fencer and have always admired people who can work metal and wood to make swords and knives.

I have picked up some carving tools recently and I really want to get out into the field and try my hand at some bushcraft projects - spoons bowls etc

Thank you also for the PM. I'll be in touch regarding the different options you mentioned and I'll let you have my contact details.

Paul

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
P Wren,

I recently bought one of LF's wrens as a food prep knife when out in the woods, but I have to admit that it now gets used for all types of work - it is a great wee knife and I would recommend it to anybody. It fits in the hand very nicely as a three finger knife and you just want to use it for everything.

Cheers

JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE