My First Spoon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Not perfect, but not too bad methinks. Messed up with a couple of knife strokes so had to 're-adjust' my design, hence the unusual shape. Great fun, great learning experience, and yes I'm addicted already. :rolleyes:

Used a piece of soft pine for this first effort. Baked in walnut oil as described elsewhere on this forum. Smells great. Looking forward to my next one being even better. Thanks for viewing.

Spoon%2001.jpg

Spoon%2002.jpg

Spoon%2003.jpg

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
"Messed up with a couple of knife strokes so had to 're-adjust' my design"......................

Welcome to the club, that's all part of it and you'll be doing a lot more re-adjustments as you go on :)

Quite a few of my real favourites are adaptations due to mistakes, wood flaws and design flaws, all part of the fun.........Very good first effort!

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
What a lovely bunch of folk you are. Many thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Kinda makes it even more worthwhile than it already was, if you catch my drift.

Just found a small split log of Ash with a sticky-out pointy bit on it that seems to be saying "I'm a cup, I'm a cup, let me out", or maybe I've just had too much coffee and not enough sleep. :cool:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
kitharode: if you "feel'' or "sense" carvings in wood, do them.
Very common experience among Pacific Northwest native carvers.
My grandmother predicted that it would happen to me.
I carve what I "see" in the wood. Really un-nerving at first, many years ago.
Sometimes, I'm splitting wood and see it. Sometimes I walk past the wood
in my shop for months and all of a sudden. . . . . . . .

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
kitharode: if you "feel'' or "sense" carvings in wood, do them.
Very common experience among Pacific Northwest native carvers.

That's good to know. I'd thought that this might be the case, but it's nice to hear it from others. What surprised me was how strong the 'feel' was. Obviously the shape of the log, coupled with my flush of success with my spoon, have played a big part here, but even so....

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
Very nice spoon :) re-adjusting the design often prompts more creative detailing to emerge - I like the little V bit

Just found a small split log of Ash with a sticky-out pointy bit on it that seems to be saying "I'm a cup, I'm a cup, let me out"

Michelangelo is quoted as saying that "Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."
Perhaps there is an artist in our midsts :D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Our Inuit study the stone to see what's in there. Cut away the rest.
Most of the time, I see the result in the raw blocks of wood.
Some times, I get an idea and find the wood block that it fits.

The spoon carvers here in BCUK must be doing much the same to see the designs in the raw wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE