My First Spoon (Spatula) - carved with my Gransfors-Bruks Axe out of Birch - Pictures

Well, I made my first spoon! Well, actually, it ended up being a Spatula because I don't have a crook knife, and didn't want to burn the hollow with embers... anyway, a nice sturdy first try and I am pleased as punch with the results!

I split a naturally curved log of birch, then hacked out a general shape. Then I used my buck saw to delineate the major contour lines - and cut out the extra with my Gransfors-Bruks Small Forest Axe, which was a pleasure to use. More delicate cutting with the axe further roughed out the shape, and I finalized the shape and soft curves with my Mora knife...

I have some pictures and written details from my camping, canoeing and portaging trip into Galeairy Lake within Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada here: mungobah.blogspot.com

Hope you enjoy, looking forward to hearing feedback (be gentle - my first try)!

Cheers,

Mungo

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That's pretty damn good for a first spoon... mine came out like a canoe for a lego man as have most of the ones I've ever seen.

I checked out your blog too, looks like a fantastic area... I'll just keep telling myself that i'm not jealous :eek:

leon-1

Nice effort Mungo, I carved my first spoon using an axe a while ago (I have only ever carved 3 spoons, the first came out like a pair of chopsticks that had a curve in them, the second was carved using an axe and came out alright), I recently carved a spoon with an F1 whilst looking after the camp in Devon on a canoe and bushcraft trip with Bison Bushcraft, Roger invited me down so I could get a break (thanks Roger if you're looking in, I needed it).

The burnt out bowl can look quite nice once you get around to finishing them, I would offer pictures but I don't want to steal your thunder. Once again nice job,

Leon:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE