My first sewn kit cases

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I spent a few days the other week attempting to use a sewing machine, steep learning curve but I got a feel for the process.... not necessarily proven in these end results :rolleyes:

I wanted a case for my folding griddle pan to keep it clean and stop any sooty residue making other kit dirty.

Pan%2520and%2520Yukon%2520Case.jpg

Happily my Chris Randall Yukon firebox (in the black case) will fit in too, added bonus.
The other case was for my carved spoons and spatula, left loose they can migrate at will to any place in my pack or even external pouches, not now though.:)

Spoon%2520case.jpg

I used some leftover pop fasteners (from my axe mask project) as button holes are, as yet, to be confronted. The material is from one of those cloth covered wardrobes that was destined for the tip. After sewing these were put through the washing machine with a towel wash to clean and allow any shrinkage to occur before the fasteners were fitted.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
They look well made, good tip about putting through the wash before adding fasteners, I wouldn't have thought of that. Your carved spoons and spatula are nice too. I like the griddle pan with folding handle, where did you buy it from please?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looking good!
My first sewing project was a shirt ... I wished I had chosen something simpler! :)
On to the next project for you now is it?
I found sewing addictive and ended up going to coll as a "Mature Student" to learn more...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I like your style.............Learn a new skill and make some useful kit at the same time; what's not to like? :)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Those look good, simple and practical. A sewing machine is no different to any other tool, it takes a bit of practice to learn how to use it well but it isn't in itself difficult to use.

Very nice, you could try waxing the canvas to give it some waterproofing? The buttonholes aren't too different, see if your machine does it automatically, even easier then. Like me you'll find you need a need bag for everything and start seeing 'fabric' everywhere you look! Ask around if anyone wants to dispose of their sofas....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE