My First Scandi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
As it's the season for making things ;) I made this!

And when I say mine, it's actually a prezzie for my sister-in-laws hubbie who's quite outdoorsy and I thought he might like it. I'll need to do a bloomin' sheath for it now too :rolleyes: I had this blade for a while, got it from BB, a guy call Jakob Nylund in Finland who's only 18 (or was) and has more knifemaking talent in his pinky toe that I have in my whole body (which is not insubstantial) Check out his website here. Oh, if you like knifey things, make sure you have a waterproof keyboard as you'll be drooling! Scandinavian style knives are extremely pretty to look at and although I don't really like using them, they sure are pretty! Another amazing maker here. Britishblades is costing me a fortune in time and money... but I love it!

P2110052.jpg

P2110053.jpg

It started off as this!

AAAAAsmall.jpg

There's some more piccies etc over on SotP (I do miss the blogs here!)

Apologies for the rubbish pics, I wish I could get the hang of lowlight photography!

Cheers,

Alan

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice one Alan, Great materials and its "pretty" so thats ok then :D

Jakob certainly knocks out some special stuff eh, I got one of his first run of blades and its my main user now with a yew,leather,birch bark,brass handle.

Cant beat a scandi :pokenest: :cool:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
LOL :pokenest: indeed ;) Any pics?

I got one from the same batch I think Jakob had worries about the heat treating as he couldn't get them hardness tested but sounds like it's fine if you're using it regularly. Gave it a quick strop today and I still think it's the sharpest knife I've got :eek:

Cheers,

Alan

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
LOL :pokenest: indeed ;) Any pics?

I got one from the same batch I think Jakob had worries about the heat treating as he couldn't get them hardness tested but sounds like it's fine if you're using it regularly. Gave it a quick strop today and I still think it's the sharpest knife I've got :eek:

Cheers,

Alan

Here you go fella. No probs with the hardness, very sharp and holds an edge well after a lot of work. Its a slighty different shape now and looks worn in too :D

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42764&highlight=nylund

Im going to do another framing the birch bark with nickel silver, and swaping the leather for buffalo horn. Going to continue the grind upto the handle and use a blade I helped forge. I'll finish this one by peaning over the tang with a washer. :)
Cant wait to get started. Blooming Mrs wants one now though too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE