My First Mosaic Pins

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Just thought I would share with you all my first go at mosaic pins.
6mm brass outer with 4 brass inners 2 copper and 1 aluminium. Filled with casting resin and coloured with coal dust

Nothing to special but Im happy

2011-11-08%25252021.07.56.jpg

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
oooooh, thats very nice mate, how did you fill the tube and how much did the bits (tubes ) cost....

your supposed to suck up the resin not tip it in.....;)

regards.

chris.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
All in all it maybe cost about £5 for a pin? Ish. I couldnt believe the price of the resin, 750ml £35, I nearly fell through the floor.

Ill bring you some to the next meet mate

As for filling ther tubes I litterally used a small syringe to push it in from the top whilst the bottom was taped

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ahhh, put a clear piece of pipe over one end and tape it on mix the resin and put the other end into the glue, suck onto the tube untill the tube starts to fill up, bend the pipe over and tape, turn upside down very quickly and tape the other end, leave to set over night and cut to length...

if you have air pockets in the ends when its cut fill with super glue, job done....

TBH i have never tried it i just know how to do it...:)

how long are your pins Rich????

also, have a look in the locar car repair shop for resin, fibre glass resin is the same stuff really, i got some today, £8.50 for resin (500ml) and £2.99 for hardner, enough for maybe 250ml or more, quite cheep really, just hope it hold ok, but should be fine, its for car bodywork after all..:)

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Wouldnt care Ive got about a gallon of fibreglass resin but was worried it may not be crystal clear but thinking now I have coloured it anyway. Ah well.

Just under 2 inches (2 cut in half for 2 pins) but gonna make the next ones a bit longer I think.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Ill give it a go when i get some more long tube. Hopefully got some clear tube coming today

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks good. I've always wanted to do my own but it's always appeared too fiddly and time consuming for the odd knife I use them on. Good stuff though, great to see the results!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
cool, just made some micarta with the resin i get yesterday, its quite runny so not so sure it will be that good for the knife handles, should be very good for pins and micarta though....

the house stinks now though, good job the mrs is at work...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE