My first knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi guys,

This is my first knife, it's from a karesuando knife kit and is composed of a 10cm/3mm stainless steel blade, brass bolster, leather, antler and birch handle (11cm at longest).
Clamped with a guitar stand, (See here for details: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60145&highlight=)
Shaped by hand with rasps, files and sandpaper,
Sanded to 2500 grit,
Soaked in peanut oil for two days,
Left to dry for one day,
The blade was then polished with toothpaste and there you have it!
The sheath will be made shortly :)

2mnog8w.jpg

95tqp5.jpg

2z8syg2.jpg

It's cheap, done with minimal tools and has a few rough patches but I really like it and I hope you do too :)

Thanks for looking,
Asa.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
ASA
Thats good work especially as there are not gaps etc.

One thing I would suggest is that the handle looks a bit bulky and should be thinned down. It is your knife and you are happy with it thats your choice but my first is way bigget than anything I owuld make now.

Use it for a bit before making a sheath.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats bloody ace mate, really like the antler and brass, great stuff.

I forgot to mention I am looking at this guys site for my first sheath, it kind of takes the confusion out of buy ing the bits, but still leaves it all up to you to make.

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for the kind replies!

Brancho: I was thinking of making it thinner but I find I can hold it stronger than I can hold my mora clipper but I will take your advice and try it out before making my mind up for sure :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I am glad my comments didnt upset you and I am not trying to threadjack you but here is my first knife still unchanged.

Myfirstknife.jpg

I wish I had know it would be better thinner but here is a similair blade to yours as my first is shorter slightly

Kitknife4.jpg

remember you are making this to suite yourself and I am only making suggestions as Ilike the job you have done.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looking great Asa, Get using it and see how you get on. My first ones (and some still) are a tad chunky, but the hand adjusts for it normally, too thin and feather stick making becomes uncomfortable.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
The thinning can come when it wants to, and if it wants to...

although, if I were your knife, I'd want some of my scratches removing with sandpaper. (120 grit, 240 and then 400-500)

Nice work though, and I have to say the guitar clamp is a pretty legendary idea.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'm going to take it out of the oil today so I'll show you once the oil has dried next to a mora for comparison. It's really a similar shape to before but it's a lot thinner - still probably a little thick for most of you - I just hope you will be able to tell the difference!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE