my first knife attempt

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
hi, im josh, i dont post on here that much, i mainly just browse, however i thought i should post my first home made knife "attempt". its made from an old file that i had in my workshop, i have ground it down, heat treated it, added it to a pipe handle and sharpned it.
i also have made a sheath to go with it (the sheath is a bit shabby, its another first attempt).

hopefully i have posted the pictures correctly.

knives017.jpg

knives019.jpg

thanks.
josh

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi,

Love the antique look on the knive, I think I wouldn't polish it to much if it were up to me....

Also love the embossing on the sheat, could you explain how you did this ??

Grtz,

Niels

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
well i took some normal garden wire and twisted it into letter shapes, then i heated it up in a fire (my kitchen gas cooker), then i stamped it into the sheath.
i would like to get some more expensive tools but ts just a matter of saving up, im still at college, unemployed and only 18 so it might be difficult.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
well i took some normal garden wire and twisted it into letter shapes, then i heated it up in a fire (my kitchen gas cooker), then i stamped it into the sheath.
i would like to get some more expensive tools but ts just a matter of saving up, im still at college, unemployed and only 18 so it might be difficult.

I'm 18 and unemployed too- i know what it feels like to be broke! if you're in the lookout for cheap tools, check oukd bootsales and classified ads in newsagents and papers, also look on ebay. I managed to get a pillar drill, bench grinder, fretsaw set of files, vice and an almost unending source of reclaimed steel for less than £100. Keep at iot, your first knife is ten times better than mine was!

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
I'm 18 and unemployed too- i know what it feels like to be broke! if you're in the lookout for cheap tools, check oukd bootsales and classified ads in newsagents and papers, also look on ebay. I managed to get a pillar drill, bench grinder, fretsaw set of files, vice and an almost unending source of reclaimed steel for less than £100. Keep at iot, your first knife is ten times better than mine was!

thanks for the advice and the kind word about the knife :). today i went down to the local recyling centre in search of some good steel, no luck:(, but oh well. there is a trading post in my local town which deals in a large quantity of old steel tools E.g. bilhooks, axes, and old files which i will be aiming to purchase. hopefully there will be some good equipment for grinding and things, i am currently using an old hand craned angle grinder which is ok but it keeps coming loose every so often.

thanks
josh

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
thanks for the advice and the kind word about the knife :). today i went down to the local recyling centre in search of some good steel, no luck:(, but oh well. there is a trading post in my local town which deals in a large quantity of old steel tools E.g. bilhooks, axes, and old files which i will be aiming to purchase. hopefully there will be some good equipment for grinding and things, i am currently using an old hand craned angle grinder which is ok but it keeps coming loose every so often.

thanks
josh

A fe cheap and easy shortcuts:

an angle grinder ( can be had for about £20) a coarse flap disc and a metal cutting disc are all you need to profile and rough grind the blade, then two files- a half round and a flat will be enough to finish the blade.

a cheap and easy forge can be made with an old saucepan, some fire cement and a haridryer( i might be making a new one soon and will do a pictorial thingy)

sawmills, cabinet makers and turners are great for cheap or even free wood

put an advert in a local shop looking for old tools- i got two good engineers vices this way, as well as loads of old saws ( good for cutting stuff and for making blades) and files.

good luck!

p.s. if you can't find any decent steel drop me a pm and i'll send you a few bits to practice on

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
thanks guys :)
The wood i used has just simple pine with wood dye and linseed oil, i drilled a hole in the handle and wedged the tang in tightly with some resin to reinforce it, i also made sure that it wasnt with or against the grain of the wood, so that the wood would not split. I also used the same method i used to emboss the leather on the pommel of the knife, it doesnt show in any of the pictures but i could post it if anyone likes.

thanks
josh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE