My first hobo stove cook up

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Hi guys, I've had hobo stoves on the brain lately and it finally got too much so at about 6.30 this evening I went to Dunelm Mill to see if they had a suitable stainless drainer to make one from, and was intent on getting out and giving it a go if I found anything.

They had one that looked just right for only £2.99 so I bought it and phoned my dad to see if he was up for a little project (I knew he would be, he always is).

So here are the first couple of cuts made with a hacksaw
DSCF0356.jpg

Had to use a cutting disc for the vertical cuts
DSCF0358.jpg

then file off the wire edges
DSCF0359.jpg

Done in no time, nice one Dad :)
DSCF0360.jpg

Already had my bag packed so then it was off to the hills with a quick stop at Sainsbury's for eggs, baps and of course... bourbon creams.

It was about 9 o clock by the time I got there and was quite dusky, found some really nice dead standing pine branches on the way up then set myself up next to a convenient fallen tree.
Got everything ready, broke up some twigs and put a handfull of birch bark in the bottom of the stove and rested the stove on a couple of finger thick twigs to let the air in through the holes in the bottom

DSCF0361.jpg

DSCF0362.jpg

then plonked a load of twigs on top of it and lit it through the hole in the side with another piece of bark.

The stove seemed to work REALLY well at containing all the heat and burning the fuel efficiently

DSCF0363.jpg

Once I put the pan on it was a bit smokey for a little while but soon calmed down to a nice controlled slow burn, it was perfect for cooking my eggs

DSCF0364.jpg

and only needed a slight top up of a few twigs

DSCF0365.jpg

and voila, bushcraft fried egg butty :D

DSCF0367.jpg

It did get very sooty and needed a good clean when I got it home but it looks more like a stove now than a butchered piece of kitchen hardware.

DSCF0369.jpg

I was stunned at how little wood it used, it was just a few twigs.
Much quicker, easier and more eco friendly.
All in all it couldn't really have gone any better :D

R3XXY

(Tom)

Last edited:

Scout

Nomad
Aug 30, 2005
Dumfries & Galloway
Looks like a good little stove, got mine going for a brew in the garden yesterday. There's just something about burning wood as oposed to gas/meths

Thanks for sharing
Nathan

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
nice post mate, be carefull though, home made stoves are really addictive. you'll be wanting to make yourself a little meths burner to sit inside it now for those times when there's just no wood, and before you know it you'll have spent a fortune on a couple of stone of steel and aluminum in the quest for the ultimate low cost lightweight stove!
those workshop shelves are a joy to behold, it's like OCD heaven!

stuart

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
nice post mate, be carefull though, home made stoves are really addictive. you'll be wanting to make yourself a little meths burner to sit inside it now for those times when there's just no wood, and before you know it you'll have spent a fortune on a couple of stone of steel and aluminum in the quest for the ultimate low cost lightweight stove!
those workshop shelves are a joy to behold, it's like OCD heaven!

stuart

Nah no chance of that I never take any liquid fuel or anything out with me, the idea of burning meths or hexi blocks or whatever totally turns me off, and for the amount of wood my little stove used you could find it virtually anywhere. I might end up making a couple more though so I can have one for each backpack and one that lives in the boot of my car :p

My dad definitely likes his nuts and bolts :lmao::lmao:

Last edited:

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
Right...that's one of my jobs this weekend. I've got the iconic Ikea drainer in the garage and have used it for burning random things but I need to turn it into a proper burner and cook on it. A good post BTW.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Next thing is a stainless container with lid and a bail arm that fits inside the burner and you will have the full classic hobo setup burner and billy. Nice one matey. They are brilliant.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Can't quite picture what you're talking about there Sniper, you got a pic of such a set up ?

What's a bail arm ?

Caboose

Apr 7, 2011
uk
Anyone else keep getting asked what their username & password is for something? I'm gathering its from OP's website he's using to host his images? Shame.. since most wont load and I want to see the rest >:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I'm getting it too guys, Even when I'm logged into my hosting account. Don't know what's going on, maybe some kind of tech issue at their end.

Press the cancel button and you may have to refresh the page a few times but al the pics should load eventually.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE