My First Hobo Stove And Penny Stove

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
After buying a stainless biscuit tin (its not as big as you would think) ages ago, and now finally getting a Zebra billy I decided to make my first hobo stove tonight and I think it turned out pretty well, I still have to check how well it burns.
I was really happy as I didnt really want to take the handle off and now Ive managed to retain it.

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

I also took the time to test my first penny stove that I made a few nights ago. Ive used the top of a tuna tin as a primer. Seems to burn okay I just quite fancy making a new one that is a bit neater and has all the holes spaced properly etc.

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It looks nice and neat.
I think you may find you'll need more/bigger holes, especially lower down. But I'm sure your first burn will see if that's the case.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Cool. I know Ive said it before but try the supercat stove out as well ( google it)
I prefer mine to the penny stove but different stoves work better on certain pots.
atb Dave

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I saw the supercat stove aswell as the inner walled can stove but dont really fancy either just for if I should accidentally tip either up the fuel will go all over so more of a safety thing for me. I know the chances of it happening are slim but still, Ill stick with the penny one for now

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I saw the supercat stove aswell as the inner walled can stove but dont really fancy either just for if I should accidentally tip either up the fuel will go all over so more of a safety thing for me. I know the chances of it happening are slim but still, Ill stick with the penny one for now
That is a concern but the two ounces of fuel (two tablespoons) are not gonna do too much damage unless in a tent and should one be using one in a tent?
I find it easier to and lless smelly to use/store as the meths seems to evaporate better in a cat.
Dave
Oh yeah no need for a pot stand and a cheapo leather hole punch works for the holes ....simples

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hey there fun to do and cost pence especially if you have a cat to give the food to!
Addictive stuff mind.
Lets see some pic's in the field next.
dave

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Will do, Im already on my next project, hammock underquilt, which I need to go and get some more things for tomorrow otherwise it would be done today

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey up chambers, good work mate.......

now all you need is to book a weekend away with a mate or 2 from the site to test it all.................lol............

hurry up with that underquilt, you need it soon mate, dont forget the pic's........

chris................

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Looks good. Is that from wilkinsons? Looks like mine almost, I got a flat bottomed tin with rounded top like yours (found it like that, honest. Not!) Top works great as second cooking bowl. You will need more/bigger holes at the bottom for sure. I have three really big (one inch) holes in mine and a raised fire grill to keep them free. Easy to add a raised bed in yours as rounded base will keep it up, but your holes are too high for that....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE