My First Hike of 2010

I had some things I wanted to do and try out so I got up before sunrise, had a hot breakfast and headed out for the first hike of 2010. I couldn't believe I left my canteen and cup sitting at home on the table....I really missed it later.

I got up on the mountain just as the sun was coming up good.

IMG_9624.jpg

Even though it was about 17F up there, and there were some stiff breezes it was a really nice morning out.

IMG_9691.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9707.jpg

I made a new friend, his name is Steve and he is a "musher" who is into primitive fire starting so we talked for a while about techniques.

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

There were icicles in all the water falls and all of the small marshes were frozen.

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg

I found a good bit of fatwood

IMG_9627.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9695.jpg

I found some fungi, some nightshade, and some berries still on some bushes.

IMG_9685.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9660.jpg

By noon I was ready to gather up some tinder and wood and make a fire to warm my bones. There was definitely plenty of good tinder about, and plenty of hardwood debris.

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

IMG_9669.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

YouTube - RMJ Tactical Shrike Tomahawk and Survival Firecraft #5

IMG_9677.jpg

All in all it was a good walk, and a good haul too.

IMG_9709.jpg

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Looks good Mistwalker, I love cold days like that in the woods.

By the way, on my post that you commented on earlier, I wasn't in Cumberland; I'm still in Sweden at the moment, but I fly home on Monday. From what my wife's been saying on the phone, conditions at home are pretty much the same as yours.

Cheers, Michael.

Excellent post mate, was it as cold as it looked in the photos ?

Thank you Andy, glad you enjoyed it!

Well...that depends...did it look like it was -8C with a wind chill of -12C? If so then yes it was as cold as it looked :)

Looks good Mistwalker, I love cold days like that in the woods.

By the way, on my post that you commented on earlier, I wasn't in Cumberland; I'm still in Sweden at the moment, but I fly home on Monday. From what my wife's been saying on the phone, conditions at home are pretty much the same as yours.

Cheers, Michael.

Thanks Michael, me too. I always have the woods to myself on those days.

Oh thanks, that explains a lot. Beautiful photos though.

Fine post Brian, great pics mate

Thanks Rich, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Great pics there, nice fatwood haul too.

Thanks, yeah that biggest one is really rich and really dense...about like trying to whittle Ipe or something :)

Great pics ...

Thank you, thanks all of you, I'm glad you guys enjoy my pics as I sure enjoy seeing the ones you post of your out and abouts :)

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE