My first fleece

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
There is a first time for everything and I have just now acquired my first fleece garment. I purchased it from a surplus/reenactor dealer just a few miles outside New Orleans, Louisana, over in Mississippi, and I placed the order by phone just as they were having their hurricane event. It arrived yesterday.

The garment in question is an issue "Liner green thermal," or words to that effect, formally on issue in the British Army, though I believe it has been replaced by a DPM version. Although not new, it is in good shape and, besides, I like things to be broken in.

I can't give much of a realistic evaluation just yet, since the temperature yesterday reached 80 degrees F. But the fit is fine and it looks promising. It is surprisingly long in the body but I notice that most issue things like smocks are running very long in the current versions. I already had the smock to go over it.

I will withhold judgement of it compared to a sweater (pullover or jersey) but it has a convenient zip front, which is rare on a sweather, plus the handy pockets. But I wonder who thought of those thumbholes? On the negative side, and I'm not sure how to put this, but it seems to have more friction to it than most other fabrics, meaning other garments worn with it don't slip around. Personally, I have found a quilted, sleeveless jacket, which we would call a vest, to be an especially good thing to wear when it's cold. A relatively thin one seems to work better under most conditions for me but it is a tradeoff of bulk versus fit.

In any event, it was hard to go wrong at the price (less than $20), compared with commercial fleece jackets, all of which are shorter, and most are only waist length. But I like to give things about a year's time before passing judgement.

I'm not sure where fleece stops and pile begins. The US Army used to issue a variety of pile liners that made for an excellent cold weather garment when worn with the appropriate outer garment. But they have all but disappeared and I don't think the current nylon liners are as good. But that whole system of field jacket and liners seems to be on the way out. When the new Gortex parka was introduced, there was a so-called pile liner that came out at the same time. It was shorter than the British fleece I was describing and was about twice as heavy. It had reinforcing here and there and also pockets but evidently didn't catch on for some reason. They no longer seem to be in the system. They didn't fit well either, I understand, all being small for their stated sizes, which might have something to do with their lack of acceptance.

What are the current cold weather garments in the British Army, beyond the fleece and smock? I know it might be slightly off subject but it sounds like a lot of the people here appreciate the qualties of army issue gear for actual use in the field.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Bluetrain,

Fleece and fibre-pile are a little bit different. However, they do have a couple things in common.

1) Both are usually made from polyester, absorbing only around 10% of their weight in moisture.

2) Neither of them are any good in the wind, it goes right through them. Therefore, they are really only useful as a thermal garment, or an outer in very still air days.

3) They are much lighter than wool. As to whether they are faster drying than "wooly pully" sweaters, I'm not sure.

Now, the basics.

Fibre-Pile is made to simulate wool. It is constructed in 2 days, depending on the price.
a) V-pile: Fibres are sprayed/glued to a backing.
b) W-pile: Fibres are woven into a backing.

If you were to look at pile, it has a smooth outer face, but inside it is furry, like the inside of a shearling sweater. These multiple curled fibres trap air between them, creating a heat barrier. As well, because is so furry, all of these individual fibres attract moisture, moving it towards the outer face, where it is transferred to the outer layer, IE: Ventile, gore-tex, PVC, etc....

On the negative side, because it is far warmer than fleece, it is heavier, and much less compactable. However, it is much faster at transporting moisture and drying than:

Fleece.
Fleece is pile without the "fur." It's smooth on both sides, but with some advantages. It is much lighter and thinner than fibre-pile, and because of this it compacts much better. It is ideal where pack space is a minimum, say, on an expedition. Fleece comes in different weight categories: 100 (usually used to long-underwear) 200 (medium weight) and 300 (heavy weight, made for winter wear)

As well, it does not 'pill' like fibre-pile. (Pile overtime will pill much more than even a wool sweater, however this does not affect it's thermal efficiency.)

Pile is ugly as hell. But, it's much more expensive to purchase and manufacture.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, so it is up to YOU to choose which you will carry. :)

Cheers,

A.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Mercury

I'd agree with you on that one ;)

Fleece material not to bad, then they put that itchy/scratchy neck and wrist material on them :confused:

If its wool, must be from a manky sheep :p

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
Apparently the army has a new olive green version out which has solved the itchiness problem of the previous dpm one and older still green one (different green to the new one). I read somewhere that the dpm ones IRR coating didn’t work that well so they decided to replace them.

There are far better civilian fleeces out there on the market.

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Army issue stuff is normally very hard wearing and up to the job it's designed for. However, most guys buy extra stuff to make life a bit more comfy. As far as warm kit goes, the fleeces are binned in favour for (admitedly much more expensive but much much warmer) Snugpack Sleeka Jackets and Buffalo/Arktis shirts.

General consensus is that the fleece is poo and is part of the Soldier 95/2000 layer system which has about a million layers and therefore each one is pretty naff on it's own. My Soldier 95 smock is the single worst bit of issued kit I've got!

That's my tuppence worth anyway! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE