My First DSLR

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Dave,

This is and example Chromatic Aberration- Pink line
lens_aberration01_2.jpg

Actually, just noticed the green line below it as well!

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hello.

Once again many thanks to you all for pointing me in the right directions.

I have decided not to get too long a lens. It might look like Im overcompensating for something.

Ive just wangled a couple of deals on Ebay, and got myself a Nikon d40 and a NIKON 18-55 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR LENS for the princely sum of £219.50 [exc postage]

[Someone tell me I got a good deal!]

Im also going to look into fixed focal length lenses, for wildlife shots when out and about, and the other types of lenses available, filters, peli case, and cleaning kit.

Will post a few snaps in the not too distant future.

Cheers Fellas.goodjob

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I think that you got a good deal there. :)

There do seem to be afe pro wildlife photographers moving away from the prime lenses in favour of something with more of a working range. It just means that they dont have to set their shot up using their feet as much anymore.

You might want to think about a bean bag for the outdoor stuff. I got mine here - spot on.

Tripods are good - they sky is the limit though. I still cant get away from the telescopic one that Dixons does (£20). I have only ever seen them in airport shops, but they are lightweight, extend do a good height and are adjustable enough if you are happy to improvise a bit. I have taken one with me on many trips now, from the desert to the jungle - never leave home without it :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You'll get on fine with that. As I said above, I think it'd be good advice to take photos for a month or two and then analyse what you're taking most photos of. At a guess I reckon 60% of my photos are of our children, 30% landscapes and 10% the rest - close ups, insects etc. If x% of your shots are of a dot you know to be a bird of prey, perhaps a long lens will be useful!

Don't forget tracking a moving bird such as the high flying osprey through a long lens is incredibly difficult - you lose sight for a moment and all you see is sky in every direction. Wait for it to perch!

I'd leave filters for the time being, except (big except!) a skylight or UV filter to put on the end of each lens just as protection for the glass.

You mention peli cases. I don't have one but know they have an excellent reputation. I think you'd only need one if you were lugging your gear through airports, on planes etc.

I mainly use a small crumpler bag like this one, which can carry the camera and spare lens, plus a few accessories. I also have a rucksack which can carry everything and also has room for dayhike kit, like this

Finally, as I said above, I'd get one or two remote releases and read a lot of Ken Rockwell's site. The other thing worth considering is enrolling on a night school course. A friend of mine is currently on one and learning loads.

:D Happy snapping.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I'd leave filters for the time being, except (big except!) a skylight or UV filter to put on the end of each lens just as protection for the glass.

Totally agree. After a month long trekking holiday in Nepal I was slo glad the I had a UV filter, a) to cut through the haze, b) the amoutn fo dust in the air would was a nightmare!

I mainly use a small crumpler bag like this one, which can carry the camera and spare lens, plus a few accessories. I also have a rucksack which can carry everything and also has room for dayhike kit, like this

I actually have that rucksack. Its great. I can get my DSLR, Telephoto, Kit lens, and cleaning kit all in the padded bottom area. It also has a side access zip so you can store your camera with Telephoto and still not have to take you bag to get you camera out.

Top section is big enough to carry, pot and stove, ground sheet, tarp, water bladder, etc.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ordered a Nikon MH23 Battery charger Yesterday and a Nikon EN-EL9 battery, and two of those remote releases, [Thanks for links]

The MH23 Battery charger was £14.99 plus $9 postage, from Ebay in the States, [where-as its £45 from Amazon in the UK!]

And ordered a two pin US to UK plug adaptor, from Amazon UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/adaptor-Con...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264069761&sr=8-1

But It occured to me this morning, that I may need a transformer, as well, when I plug this in at home, as in the UK we are 240v?

[Dont the Americans use 110v in thier homes?]

Anyone know about this?

Do I need some sort of 110v to 240v plug socket transformer?

Thanks

Dave.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE