My first char cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
Hey all, just made my first ever batch of char cloth. It didn't go too badly for a first time, didn't leave it on the fire quite long enough to fully char the whole lot but i got most of it.

I did however rather badly burn 3 of my fingers, my own stupid fault i didn't let the tin cool down enough before picking it up.

Hoping next time i'll get a better batch and maybe only burn 1 or 2 fingers :p

DSC00130.jpg

TJ

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
I used tongs to take it off the fire, put it on the ground, put the tongs down then picked it right back up again to see how it had turned out, completely forgetting i had only just taken it off the fire.

Lamper i couldn't think of a better term for it if i tried, it was definately a "dickhead moment".

TJ

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Good work TJ! Have you tried it out yet?

When I first made charcloth I burned myself though not on the tin; it wasn't quite cooled when I opened it so the charcloth ignited when I pulled a clump out. That smarted a little!

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
oh right :) cool thanks. Is there a tutorial on it somewhere or do you just put some cloth in a tin and put it in a fire for x amount of time ... ? I would have thought something that was already burnt would be harder to light again. Thats what bushcrafts for :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
basically, put the cloth in a tin then poke a hole in the top, then put it on the fire until there is no smoke coming out of the top, if there is ever fire coming out of the hole then cover the hole for a few seconds and then uncover it.

That is pretty much it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE