My DIY Wood Burning Backpacking Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickyc

Jan 24, 2010
shifnal
Hello Guys & Gals :)

Thought id share some pics and a video of the new stove I’ve made, It’s a wood/twig burning stove with secondary combustion following similar design to the “everything nice stove”.

I must say I’m very pleased with it and was amazed how much burn time I get from one bean can of broken wood (this case a broken pallet), easy enough time to boil 2 cups at least 2 times. It burns clean with very little smoke and more broken twigs can be added while in use which doesn’t stop it from gasifying. The holes on the bottom are only on one side so you can aim it either into or away from the wind to aid the best burn

Video Here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P9yyUjalZY

Its made from one stainless steel canister and a couple of bean cans, you can use the standard size coffee mug and Clipper knife as a measurement.

I'm sure its going to get lots of use over the next few months! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

rickyc

Jan 24, 2010
shifnal

I've made about 4 now messing about with different size holes and qty's in the inner and outer casing's, also different chimney style designs so its taken some time to get to to this stage.. If i was to make another it would probably now only take an hour or so to drill all the holes and clip it together.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
just trying to figure it out...

is the bean tin inside the canister, mounted around the lid? Holes drilled in the side of the bean tin to let the gas into the outer chamber between bean tin and canister, then forced up, out through another set of holes and ignited by burning twigs?!?!?!

LOL :D thats my convoluted understanding of wood gas burners :D

looks good either way

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Almost, BushEd- The wood gas never makes it into the space between the inner and outer can, it rises up through the fuel stack
The produced gas from the partially oxidised wood mixes with the preheated air at the level of the secondary air holes, in the inner can, and burns there. :)

Last edited:

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Almost, BushEd- The wood gas never makes it into the space between the inner and outer can, it rises up through the fuel stack
The produced gas from the partially oxidised wood mixes with the preheated air at the level of the secondary air holes, in the inner can, and burns there. :)

Depending on the stove design whether it's a stratified down draft stove or a TLUD the gases are sucked into the outer wall through the venturies and are burned through the jets which can be seen in Reed's original "Turbo" stove which was a down draft stove!

The conversion could be made on this stove if the hole sizes and situations were modified and the addition of a fan.
Also the gas would pass through a layer of char which would add extra carbon to the gases so the chemical reaction of H2O+C→H2 CO and C+Co2→2CO can be achieved...there's something for you to think about on your next stove project rickyc!

Last edited:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, nice job mate, your outer case look's like the one's tesco sell's with the glass in. saves a lot of cutting. im on mk3 at the mo, good fun but cant get the same boil time as the kelly kettel, yet i will post some photos when i work out how, carl

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Depending on the stove design whether it's a stratified down draft stove or a TLUD the gases are sucked into the outer wall through the venturies and are burned through the jets which can be seen in Reed's original "Turbo" stove which was a down draft stove!

The conversion could be made on this stove if the hole sizes and situations were modified and the addition of a fan.
Also the gas would pass through a layer of char which would add extra carbon to the gases so the chemical reaction of H2O+C→H2 CO and C+Co2→2CO can be achieved...there's something for you to think about on your next stove project rickyc!

A tlud is a Top Lit Updraft gasifier.
The Reed stove is not a downdraft gasifier, It is a TLUD.
The direction of the draft( sorry, Draught) is signified by the updraft description.
The Reed woodgas turbo stove was originally callled an Inverted Downdraft Gasifier, until several comments were made on the bioenergy lists and REPP.Org, regarding the confusion this terminology was creating in the the wider stoving community. It was agreed that the common terminology for a IDD should be a tlud. This has been stuck to since. A stratified downdraft gasifier pulls the producer gas through the fuel stack. A tlud produces gas, which then passes up through the layer of glowing char, at the top of the fuel stack.

The worldstove Everything nice stove was designed to be a tincanium pyrolytic stove- a Top Lit Opposite Draft stove, not the same as a TLUD.
Have a look at the worldstove site and notice the difference in configurations and burn characteristics in the Lucia stove.

The gases indeed should be sucked out of the lower holes in this TLOD configuration, although this is more difficult to achive in practice with tins.

Pyrolytic stoves (tlod's) torrify/char the fuel in the abscence of oxygen. This is the major difference between the gasification mechanisms. A tlud uses limited oxygen from the primary air holes to release the volatile components from wood as combustible gases and tars. A tlod uses the hot oxygen free gases from the underside of the flame cap to torrefy/char the fuel in order to release combustible gases.The two different mechanisms can easily be identified by seeing glowing char in a tlud, and no glowing char in a tlod.

Several diagrams have been posted on the net, including wikipedia,showing incorrect gas flow. This has led to much confusion, very much understandable I might add.

The Pyrolytic/tlod stove is a completely new beast, and had biomass gasification experts, including Tom Reed, a little bemused at the idea of the Lucia stove.

In a tlud, there is absolutley no mixing of woodgas and air between the inner and outer can. All the mixing happens in the gasification chamber.
In a tlod configuration, no oxygen enters the gasification chamber-the combustible gases are mixed in the gapm between the 2 cans, heated and then burnt at the top of the gasification chamber.
I hope this goes some way to clearing up any confusion. :)

rickyc

Jan 24, 2010
shifnal
Thanks Guy's, Some great info here how this all works, you've lost me a bit though! :lmao: all sounds very scientific.. there was me just drilling a few holes :rolleyes:

when i set out to make it i just wanted an easy to light stove which was clean burning, had a nice constant directional flame to aid boiling and would pack away in my billy without the addition of much extra weight.

I would put this stove in the TLUD category, i've had ago with fans and the possible use of peltiers but then i'm quite happy with the current style of set up, dont want to over complicate things too much.. "keep it simple" as we say!

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
A tlud is a Top Lit Updraft gasifier.
The Reed stove is not a downdraft gasifier, It is a TLUD.
The direction of the draft( sorry, Draught) is signified by the updraft description.
The Reed woodgas turbo stove was originally callled an Inverted Downdraft Gasifier, until several comments were made on the bioenergy lists and REPP.Org, regarding the confusion this terminology was creating in the the wider stoving community. It was agreed that the common terminology for a IDD should be a tlud. This has been stuck to since. A stratified downdraft gasifier pulls the producer gas through the fuel stack. A tlud produces gas, which then passes up through the layer of glowing char, at the top of the fuel stack.

The worldstove Everything nice stove was designed to be a tincanium pyrolytic stove- a Top Lit Opposite Draft stove, not the same as a TLUD.
Have a look at the worldstove site and notice the difference in configurations and burn characteristics in the Lucia stove.

The gases indeed should be sucked out of the lower holes in this TLOD configuration, although this is more difficult to achive in practice with tins.

Pyrolytic stoves (tlod's) torrify/char the fuel in the abscence of oxygen. This is the major difference between the gasification mechanisms. A tlud uses limited oxygen from the primary air holes to release the volatile components from wood as combustible gases and tars. A tlod uses the hot oxygen free gases from the underside of the flame cap to torrefy/char the fuel in order to release combustible gases.The two different mechanisms can easily be identified by seeing glowing char in a tlud, and no glowing char in a tlod.

Several diagrams have been posted on the net, including wikipedia,showing incorrect gas flow. This has led to much confusion, very much understandable I might add.

The Pyrolytic/tlod stove is a completely new beast, and had biomass gasification experts, including Tom Reed, a little bemused at the idea of the Lucia stove.

In a tlud, there is absolutley no mixing of woodgas and air between the inner and outer can. All the mixing happens in the gasification chamber.
In a tlod configuration, no oxygen enters the gasification chamber-the combustible gases are mixed in the gapm between the 2 cans, heated and then burnt at the top of the gasification chamber.
I hope this goes some way to clearing up any confusion. :)
Oh right that cleared that up a bit....so how can you operate an Everythingnice stove as a TLOD?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Oh right that cleared that up a bit....so how can you operate an Everythingnice stove as a TLOD?

Build the everything nice stove (EN) exactly to specifications.
Shorter and fatter tins seem to work better.
A baked bean type tin seems at the upper limit of height/width ratio.
After a few minutes after lighting, assuming the specs are correct, the flame cap will establish and seal the exhaust hole from incoming air. The stove will visibly swap from tlud to tlod. Shortly after the flame cap is fully established, all glowing fuel should extinguish.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Build the everything nice stove (EN) exactly to specifications.
Shorter and fatter tins seem to work better.
A baked bean type tin seems at the upper limit of height/width ratio.
After a few minutes after lighting, assuming the specs are correct, the flame cap will establish and seal the exhaust hole from incoming air. The stove will visibly swap from tlud to tlod. Shortly after the flame cap is fully established, all glowing fuel should extinguish.

I can achieve this with all tin can type stoves that I make...does that mean that I achieve tlod gasification?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE