My days are now numbered...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A good number of us who practise bushcraft have had experience of Fjallraven gear. More recently, this has not been altogether great, with frequent observations that their clothing is now worn on the terraces and in shopping centres rather in the wilds for which it was originally designed and made.

Certainly, my most recent pair of Forester trousers were a disappointment: flimsy fabric and poorly made. It did taint my view of the brand, along with its growing ubiquity among television presenters.

So, it was with some trepidation that I took the plunge and bought both jacket and trousers from their Numbers range. It would appear that the company is trying to hark back to their earlier, more glorious days with this range of clothing and I would like share my experiences of the two garments.

To begin, the jacket or Jacket No.68 as it is dubbed.

http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-equipment/jackets/jacket-no-68

I chose the light olive colour (for obvious reasons!). It is a very well thought-out jacket, littered with genuinely useful pockets. There are two cargo ones on the front with hand-warming ones behind; two angled chest pockets; two pockets on the rear of the jacket. All of these have either double or single press stud closures. Inside, there are a zipped pocket and a deep open one. The arrangement offers great versatility in stowing gear. I found the angled chest pockets to be really good as they are not set too high nor are they at an impossible angle to use efficiently. The rear pockets I was suspicious of but they have proved ideal for storing a small first aid kit and bits and bobs of food on longer days out.

The fabric of the jacket is their G1000. The main part of the jacket is in a traditional weight; there are reinforcements on the shoulders, cargo pocket lower edges and lower arms in a heavier-weight fabric that seems reassuringly robust. In use, it has proved that Fjallraven have returned to form, as far as I am concerned: the heavier weight fabrics (both of them) performed very well in woods and on hills throughout the winter.

The hood and collar arrangement is excellent, affording protection when the weather closes in but also giving you the chance to get the air to your head, if working hard. Related to that, the closure at the front is made up of a beefy two-way zip and storm flap, closed by press studs. I really like this arrangement as it allows you to ventilate whilst still keeping out the worst of the weather. The cuffs are cinched similarly with press studs.

I cannot fault the workmanship on this jacket at all - it is excellent. I have used it through this (extended) winter that we have enjoyed and found it to be a superb jacket: versatile, quick drying, largely wind proof and able to carry all my necessities with ease. That said, I did make a couple of modifications to the jacket: I added an elasticated drawcord to the bottom hem as there wasn't one and added another press stud closure just below the bottom of the zip to help ensure that it stays zipped up, particularly when moving uphill or raising my legs to clamber over things.

I like Ventile but do not like the hours it can take to dry out. With Jacket No.68, I might just have found a top that solves that problem to some degree. It is fair to say that I am a real fan of this jacket and now use it as my 'default' coat.

The Trousers No.26 (http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-equipment/trousers/trousers-no26 ) I like even more than the jacket.

I have never understood the company's - and other companies', for that matter - obsession with cramming in so many pockets to their trousers, each with its distinctive role. The No.26s have two front pockets, two back pockets (closed with a press stud) and one large pocket on the right thigh, again closed with a press stud. And that's it. As far as I'm concerned, that is more than enough.

They are made from the same, heavy weight (and so much more durable) G1000 that reinforces the shoulders, front cargo pockets and lower arms of the No.68 Jacket. While not the lightest fabric on the planet, it is very hard wearing - a usual characteristic when crashing about in the woods or wrestling manfully with brambles.

The cut of the trousers is spacious without being elephantine and, once the hems have been turned up to the required length from their raw original, they are extremely comfortable to wear both in a bushcrafty scenario or otherwise.

They have a button fly, which is, perhaps, the source of my only complaint. Other than that, I reckon that they offer a really good, well made alternative to the sort of Arborwear/Cactus Climbing work trousers.

The trousers came from Field, Moor and Stream in Hampshire; the jacket from Henry Brummel - an online fashion retailer. Perhaps that shows where some of Fjallraven's appeal now lies!

From my experience of Jacket No.68 and Trousers No.26, I think that Fjallraven are back on song, thinking about designing and making clothing for real use in the real outdoors. Since my days are now numbered, I have no hesitation in recommending both garments.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
No experience with any of their gear, but I do remember when North Face did the same thing, in the 90s. For a while, their gear was top of the line climbing/trekking gear-and you paid top price for it too. But, it was also designed to keep you alive. Then, suddenly, it became "stylish", and manufactured in China, and started having REAL quality issues. This went on for roughly a decade. Now, it seems their prices are reasonable, their QA isnt as bad as it used to be, but the "outdoor look in inner city life" hasnt faded yet. My OLD TNF jacket, I bivouaced more than a few times in snowdrifts in-I dont know if the new gear could take the abuse anymore :)

NedB33

Mar 31, 2013
United Kingdom
I recently bought myself a pair of Barents trousers and had them adjusted by some of the ladies at work (I work for school wear company) who remarked that the material seemed good quality.

So far I've done two walking trips out in the dales, bashed my legs on the inside of tight caves etc.. and they seem to be holding up fine. I'm happy with them at the moment but also wary of opinion over the material. Will see how they are when I eventually get out for a day and night.

...I have been eyeing the haglofs rugged mountain trouser, though.

Thanks for the review!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is the G-1000 HD like the old G-1000 used to be, or better?

I have an old pair of Barents which have outlasted much newer Karl and Greenland trews

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's different, certainly. It has a more distinctly textured feel to it and, with it, comes a certain stiffness, making it a little like the trousers made by Cactus Climbing in New Zealand. I have given the Fjallraven trousers quite a pasting since I got them and they are holding up brilliantly. After a few washes, they soften a little, making them easier (more comfortable?) to wear but, to my mind, t is their cut and the attention to detail and finish that mark out these trousers as Fjallraven back on form.

Perhaps it is most accurate to say that the G1000 HD will wear probably better than the old G1000 but there is a certain stiffness woven into the fabric to achieve this.

I'll post again, once they've done me something closer to a year's service, and let you know how they're getting on.

I have an old pair of Barents which have outlasted much newer Karl and Greenland trews

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains

Same here, I have a very old pair of barents which are still in good order except that they have black stains on the pockets from carrying dirty dutch ovens that wont wash out .
I brought a second pair of them a few years ago for when the first ones wear out but the first are still going

Nov 24, 2015
Greece
i m really interested on the no 68 jacket i have the barents trousers and are even unwaxed very toasty does the jacket has any insulation or just one layer of g1000 and how does it perform in the winter and last can you upload a photo of the inner section of the jacket cant find a single photo on the internet...( i was searching your review the whole day... tricky title..)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE