My alice pack frame modifications

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...

IMG_3517.jpg

I got this Alice pack from a Salvation Army store in Malaysia years ago. Have not used it at all because it came without the metal rigid frame.

Recently had another look at it and decided perhaps it is a good idea to work on it. I manage to get some light weight aluminum stays. Rather thin but its the only one I can get.
With a hacksaw, an electrical drill and some rivets...the following is what I came up with.

IMG_3508.jpg

I made the below so that the lower pack strap would hold on to the frame:
IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

Now I can take it out for a test.

Comments, feedback appreciated :)

Dec 16, 2007
Thats great. It looks like it is the small ALICE pack so the proper frame would be sticking down lower than the bottom of the pack so would make it difficult to wear with belt kit.

Found this out in the 80's when I was in the army and had 58 webbing. Had to use it with out the frame.

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
hi bandel4, i really like the frame mod. to your medium ALICE rucksack...that frame you made kind of looks like the ARVN/U.S. tropical ruck frame of the vietnam war...how does the frame feel against your back?...nice job..vince g. 11b inf..

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
hi bandel4, i really like the frame mod. to your medium ALICE rucksack...that frame you made kind of looks like the ARVN/U.S. tropical ruck frame of the vietnam war...how does the frame feel against your back?...nice job..vince g. 11b inf..

Hi Vince...

Initially, I stopped work after just making the 'square' frame. I put it on and it felt okay. Then I added some stuff into the pack and some of it very literally poking my back. So, I decided to add the 'X' frame. To help keep the internal stuff away a bit from my body. So far, it felt much better. Gotta give it a try now.

To be honest, I got the idea of the frame design from one of the Tatonka brand pack designs I saw many years back. The only set back with the aluminum stays is that they are rather soft.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
hi bandel4...med. ALICE packs are not rare or collectible at all... its the U.S. tropical ruck sacks(like in the video) which are collectible and rate a high price to folks that collect vietnam gear....i think johnboy was showing how close the frames look on the tropical ruck and the frame you made ..tropical rucks are made different than the med.ALICE rucks,but kind of look the same...med. ALICE rucks are a dime a dozen here in the states also ebay etc.....vince g. 11b inf...

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
i think johnboy was showing how close the frames look on the tropical ruck and the frame you made ..

Correct...

Not particularly a fan of ALICE packs myself but I have only ever used one in a temperate climate and it was a Large version..

Hope it works out for you in Malaysia...

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE