my 2 days out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yeah, I was gonna rough it in the new Forest with the dog, but he hurt his foot about 2/3rds of the way in. I couldn't see anything wrong, but didn't want to chance it, so after cooking my nosh and feeding the hound, I set back for the car. Made it back just before dark. One downer though, was finding a poor rabbit suffering badly from Mixxy. It was clearly going to be it's last day, so after calming it by stroking its back, which it seemed to enjoy after a while, I gave it a clean instant despatch. Poor bloody thing-it's still playing on my mind. :(

Earth Mother

May 15, 2005
Kent
Spacemonkey said:
One downer though, was finding a poor rabbit suffering badly from Mixxy. It was clearly going to be it's last day, so after calming it by stroking its back, which it seemed to enjoy after a while, I gave it a clean instant despatch. Poor bloody thing-it's still playing on my mind. :(
I'm not sure I'd be able to do that even though it's the right thing. Well done Spacemonkey.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Spacemonky you definatly did the right thing, i'd say i would have done what you did. Sorry to sound ignorant but whats mixxy?Vik it was my first lean to. But when i was leaving i left it standing because i'll be down next week. I heard abunch of loud teenagers moving up and down the river, i was a bit apprehensive that they might move into the woods but they didnt :confused: the next day when i was leaving i saw them in their city clothes :eek: they didn't even notice me when i walked litterally 50 metres away from them :confused: On another note i saw two deer and think i heard one by my tent, i heard the rustle of leaves but it didn't sound like a person but it did sound like somthing big :eek:

Cheers
Adam

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Myxomatosis, I believe, is a man made disease intended to control the rabbit population. It can spread like wildfire through a rabbit populated area and has the ugly effect of showing up as swellings around the head. Towards the end, the rabbit is left virtually blind and you can walk right up to them to offer the coup-de-grace if you are able.
The population always seems to return however, and as the numbers are fewer, the pickings, for them, are often richer.

A swift web search should bring up a lot more information than I can offer.

Ogri the trog

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
That way they suffer then? Better go out and shoot them then, my hunting teacher has shot 11.000 rabbits troughout his time.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Not that bad Adam. You didn't show me that one last night.

As I said we might a get even a day before you go to Kenya or if not as soon as your get back and I can show you a few different types. It certainly looks good in the picture and as you said a little more thought for safety and I sure you would have had a good nights sleep.

Also thanks again for making me even more jealous as I sit here relping in my office less then a hours drive from that spot. :(

James

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Adamscott2 said:
I was at my usaul stomping ground: [img=http://img295.echo.cx/img295/4056/glencree0096ux.jpg] up in glencree vally this fri and sat morning. On the fri i made a lean to shelter: [img=http://img295.echo.cx/img295/7059/glencree0033zp.jpg] which unfortunatly i could not stay in due to the danger of a dead stand tree right beside it :rolleyes: , next time i'll be gettin rid of it :D Had a great time and cant wait to do it again :)
Did anyone else do anything else this weekend?

Spent the weekend showing young scouts how to light fires (In the rain as it happend) and showing them how to steam trout with wet paper and leaves.

Not only was it the first time some of them had eaten trout, it was the first time some had lit a fire!

T

Tekeeler

For those of you who wanted to know a little more, myxamatosis is indeed a man-made viral infection originally designed to control the rabbit population in the 50s. It is basically the bunny equivalent of bubonic plague in that it is spread throughout a population by fleas. A victim will have large swellings on the head and genital areas, as well as internally on the lungs, liver and spinal cord. Blinded by cysts in its eyes, the creature will die 5-8 days after infection. This horrible and gruesome disease can also effect foxes and squirrels to a lesser extent and I would seriously recommend not touching an infected animal, not that it can be transmitted to humans but best not to take unnecessary risks with your own health. A blow to the head with a stout stick is by far the best treatment if you come across a stricken individual. Adam is to be applauded for putting the creature out of its misery.

Sorry to be maudlin but not man's finest accomplishment I'll think you will agree. :(

Also congrats on the lean-to. Looks good.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Ah thats mixxy from what you described ogri, it sounds like what i understand to be bocthelism, unless i'm really wrong. Teekler it wasnt me who did it space monky did, i would of done the same thing though. James, cheer up you'll be retired befor me :p

Cheers
Adam

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Very true Adam.

Isuppose that would be something to look forward too if it wasn't for that fact that it's still at least 35 years away.

But the added bonus is that I still don't have the leaving in front of me. :D

James

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
i dunno odin about the law might, does sleeping out count as loittering? and i'd say your sleeping out will have more to do with where, when and who sees you ;) where you going? Suppose your right james but i only have to answer to my parents you have to answer to Sirena :D

Cheers
Adam

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
odin13 said:
just wondering, is it legal to sleep rough in public places? I am planning a trip soon, and i just need to find out.
cheers,
alex

It depends where you are. In Scotland it is allowed under the recent legislation but there are rules and exceptions even there. In the UK basically if you have the land owners permission and it does not contravene any local bye-laws, then it's OK. There are separate rules governing fires etc. Always best to obtain the land owners permission first and that includes local authorities etc.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Tekeeler said:
For those of you who wanted to know a little more, myxamatosis is indeed a man-made viral infection originally designed to control the rabbit population in the 50s. It is basically the bunny equivalent of bubonic plague in that it is spread throughout a population by fleas. A victim will have large swellings on the head and genital areas, as well as internally on the lungs, liver and spinal cord. Blinded by cysts in its eyes, the creature will die 5-8 days after infection. This horrible and gruesome disease can also effect foxes and squirrels to a lesser extent and I would seriously recommend not touching an infected animal, not that it can be transmitted to humans but best not to take unnecessary risks with your own health. A blow to the head with a stout stick is by far the best treatment if you come across a stricken individual. Adam is to be applauded for putting the creature out of its misery.

Sorry to be maudlin but not man's finest accomplishment I'll think you will agree. :(
Agreed Tekeeler. Working back at the Wildlife Rescue last year, the info we had was that it didn't transfer to other species but it's wise to be wary. It's an evil thing, no cure and if the Rabbit isn't found and put to sleep (or humanely dispatched) it can linger in angony for as long as two weeks. If you see a black Rabbit in a field with the usual brown population, that's no escaped domestic bunny but a deliberately introduced carrier put there to infect the wild population.

Personally I just don't get it. If they left the Rabbit's natural preditor alone, it's numbers would be controled without such dispicable devices. But before I go off on one, or cause a riot, I'll shut up and say no more :(

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
the problem with that is that they will get greedy and start going for chickins and other form of pets even if they are properly put away in runs, they will destory it completely until they get what they came for! :eek: plus if there are more than one chickin in a run they will kill the lot and then only take one away. i have seen it happen foxes are beautiful creatures but they do had some annoying habiats! :rolleyes:

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
PurpleHeath said:
...plus if there are more than one chickin in a run they will kill the lot and then only take one away. i have seen it happen foxes are beautiful creatures but they do had some annoying habiats! :rolleyes:
They'd probably come back for the rest if they could. It's a bit of a supermarket sweep for them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE