Mussels and laver

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Aside from my carrageen moss, I have found laver, and the rocks are simply blue with mussels.

how do I preserve laver? Do I dry it?

Can you preserve mussels like you do cockles?

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I'm a fan of laver and when dried out it will store for months, if not years. The real trick is in getting all the sand off it first.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I slagged off Irn Bru to the Scots earlier, so I may as well...

I'm Welsh, but laver tastes like something that has been scraped off a rock. There's a good reason for this. It has. :yuck:

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I slagged off Irn Bru to the Scots earlier, so I may as well...

I'm Welsh, but laver tastes like something that has been scraped off a rock. There's a good reason for this. It has. :yuck:

Take a pop at Cornish pasties and Guinness, get the full set. And it's not "scraped", I always cut mine with scissors.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Guiness I can take or leave (the wife hates it). But I love cornish pasties!

To be honest I'd like to try laver again, done properly by someone who knows how to prepare it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a kind of weird thing; we're an island people, and there are no poisonous seaweeds growing round our coasts, yet we make so little use of them.
I think we're incredibly lucky; we have enough food that the 'famine' foods are not necessary for everyday consumption.

I wish I liked seaweed more, I really do, but I'm allergic to fish and I'm always wary of the stuff, especially when it does have that fish smell to it.

I bought roasted seaweed, and if I hold my nose when I eat it, it's very good, but otherwise I'm not happy near it.
It's a shame.

M

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Laver dries very well, when you want to use it just throw it into some water and cook it for the requisite Very Long Time. I also dry carragheen/Irish moss/chondrus crispus which produces a great gel which you can use in cooking or in skin preparations.

Check to make sure that there isn't a sewage outlet anywhere near where you collect. There are literally thousands of sewage overflows around our coast. Surfers Against Sewage have a very useful phone app which will tell you if there is one at any given beach, and will also alert you if it's operating.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Laver just wash and dry thoroughly. The traditional welsh of Cooking it for many hours and frying with bacon is edible because of the bacon, it looks like a newborn babies nappy otherwise, and produces flatuance that smells like a harbour at low tide. Dried into sheets it the Japanese way. It can added to light soups or mixed with sea salt as a condiment.

Mussels are best eaten fresh. They can be frozen or pickled but lose a lot of texture and can become unsafe.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The japanese way is best. Boiling it to death in the required british fashion is not me, so no laver bread.

This isnt in the Fal, its Holywell bay.

(No idea how to use the smartphone so I ignore it)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE