mushrooooooooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
It's going to be a bumper year for mushroooms... at least round here. Ceps aplenty and loads of field mushies.

Usual caveats apply: don't pick unless you have a 100% ID, don't pick em all, take only what you need.

good little recipie:

Ceps [boletus] cut the stems longways into thin strips and dry overnight in the fan oven as you would jerky. makes an interesting snack as it is, or a light weight accompaniment to casseroles etc out in the filed.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Deffinatly a bumper season .... down here in south wales we have shrooms of all shapes and sizes popping up all over the place....

:)
Ed

B

bluemountaingunworks

Don,
While I was living in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, we would occasionally go in search of morels. We could usually find them in poplar coves and old apple orchards. The ones we would find were of the yellow/white variety and did not get very large. However with enough patience and crawling around, a nice yield could be had for that nights pot.
To prepare, I would slice longways and then soak in salt water for an hour or so. The salt water kills all the little nasties. After draining them, my wife and I would toss them in with a little olive oil, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic for an excellent pasta sauce. My glands are leaking thinking about it!
Enjoy 'shrooming and God Bless! Jerry

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Don Redondo said:
It's going to be a bumper year for mushroooms... at least round here. Ceps aplenty and loads of field mushies.

Usual caveats apply: don't pick unless you have a 100% ID, don't pick em all, take only what you need.

good little recipie:

Ceps [boletus] cut the stems longways into thin strips and dry overnight in the fan oven as you would jerky. makes an interesting snack as it is, or a light weight accompaniment to casseroles etc out in the filed.
Or the bottom oven of an Aga / Rayburn overnight does the same, that is exactly what happened to the ceps Vicky and I collected last night. Got a couple of baking trays worth plus a few bits left over to add to the field mushroom on toast had for tea tonight.
We couldn't belive our luck, a big patch of nice big ceps right by the rather poular path we were on and no one had picked them.
Off up there again in a day or two to see if any more have come up.
David

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Just got it out of the oven (24 hours in the bottom oven with the main running at about 150C) and the cep jerky is fantastic! Goodness only knows how much it'd have cost me to buy this much in a deli!

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
yep Cep jerky is 'interesting', and much nicer than those overpriced parsnip 'crisps' you can buy. very moreish too.

Bluemountaingunworks, where in Utah are you? I have friends near Park City, who live over the other side of the valley to the Olympic ski jump venue

B

bluemountaingunworks

Don,
I am located in the SE corner of Utah. Monticello sits about 16 miles west of the Colorado border and about 1 hour south of Moab. Park City is close to 6 hours away. It is beautiful up there in the high Uinta Mountains. Jerry

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
bluemountaingunworks said:
Don,
I am located in the SE corner of Utah. Monticello sits about 16 miles west of the Colorado border and about 1 hour south of Moab. Park City is close to 6 hours away. It is beautiful up there in the high Uinta Mountains. Jerry
Drove through Moticello once on my way from an overnight stop in Moab to meet up with some relatives in Scottsdale AZ, a very nice part of the world and stilll one of the best days driving I can remember.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
still picking loads of ceps, there are so many this year, even the badgers are'nt bothering anymore. They're pretty grub free too, because there are so many. Have dried masses and my kitchen now smells mouldy........... :eek:

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Down in dorset it's still too dry.. I've been out the last couple of weekend's, and only managed half a handfull of pritty grubby items!

I think I need to wait a couple of weeks until we get some proper rain - then the new forest should be abundant :)

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Found a giant puffball today the size of a football, I was sooooo exited. The slugs have just started to nibble away at the skin... but if you're not fast you're last. I Took it home skinned and sliced it up. The flesh is still white and has a strong mushroom smell. I took a quarter of it, fried some in oil and some in butter. The butter version was best with freshly cracked pepper .......Oh yes!!! The best mushroom I've ever tasted.

I am going to try a slice with sirloin stake and melted stilton tomorrow.. No, sod it can't wait - I'll do it tonight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE