mushrooming!

Oct 2, 2008
North London
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of any courses were I could learn about mushrooms and foraging for them. Its a topic im not to clued up on, and would love to learn more about.
Thanks.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
You could try the British Mycological Society as I believe they have local groups who organise forays - not a course but you can start to learn something from local experts. Otherwise local natural history groups may organise fungus forays.

You're a bit far away from us but we have an informal group from work, led by a Polish fungus expert, who has been gathering and eating them for most of his life, and we organise a few forays every Autumn, but they tend to be a bit spur of the moment outings.

You could also get a book (e.g. Roger Philips' Mushrooms) and just take a wander and start trying to identify them yourself. This book is rather large and daunting for a beginner, but after a while you can start to get a few yourself. Mind you, I've not yet eaten a wild fungus based purely on my own identification (oh, apart from Chicken of the Woods).

One of the other members here has just done a course with Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall, which was evidently very good so he may get back to you.

HTH

Geoff

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't think you safely learn fungi on weekend course.
A few years of studing every fungi you come across, with a proper field guide and going a well organised forays i feel is a more solid safe way of tackling the subject. You need to learn the differances between the family groups and this takes practice.

forays: http://fungus.org.uk/

Wild about britian also do quite a few forays.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I don't think you safely learn fungi on weekend course.
A few years of studing every fungi you come across, with a proper field guide and going a well organised forays i feel is a more solid safe way of tackling the subject. You need to learn the differances between the family groups and this takes practice.

forays: http://fungus.org.uk/

Wild about britian also do quite a few forays.

Dont think anyone has suggested you can learn fungi on a weekend course Xylara?, the day/weekend courses pointed out above were posted as references to beginning to learn about fungi not as be all and end all courses on the subject, of which of course there are none.

Peter Russell who led the course i was on, is a professional mycologyst and even he admitted on the course that he will never learn in his lifetime all there is know about fungi.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE