Mushroom Identification

Aug 26, 2010
east anglia
IMGP0103.jpg

IMGP0104.jpg

IMGP0105.jpg

IMGP0106.jpg

Just picked thses today in a meadow with cows, does anybody know gor sure what they are? they were lighter pink with whiter stems that have slowly got darker, thanks all

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those are field mushrooms, and very tasty looking they are too! Just reminded me that i saw some from the car this afternoon close to home, and haven't gone to get them! I'm off for my coat...

Aug 26, 2010
east anglia
hey thanks harvestman, thats what i thought but wanted a second and third opinion, can anyone else confirm this? if so they will be going in a cheese and potato pie tommorow :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well unless those turn yellow or red on bruising or cutting, and there's no evidence of that in the top picture, I would be happy to eat them. No offence freebird, but there are no simple rules for fungi. Either you know what it is or you don't eat it. No short-cuts. Apologies if you know that and were being witty. :)

I dry almost all my wild fungi, because they add flavour to a dried soup/stew mix, can be crumbled, and weigh almost nothing. Perfectly safe to do so long as you get into the habit of checking every single specimen that you take. The casual "well it was growing next to that other one, and that one was edible" is the sort of thing that can get you into trouble. :nono:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wipe them, put them on a plate or wire rack or whatever, and put that in the bottom of the airing cupboard. Remove when dry. They store indefinitely thereafter. Normally they dry in 2 days.

I've just spent most of today on a solo fungus foray, going to various locations, and came back with masses of field mushrooms exactly like those in the picture, plus 5 slippery jack (Suillus luteus), 2 larch bolete, 2 yellow wax caps, and more puffballs than I can count (2 types). I'll eat the puffballs because they don't dry well in my experience (would love to do it), and one or two of the fieldies, and the rest will go for drying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE