Mushroom ID

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Picked these today, along with half a carrier bag of chestnuts,they look like shaggy parasol,to me,but before i get them down me, i'd just like to make sure,

If they are what's the best way to eat and cook them ? thanks in advance.

Bernie
DSC01184.jpg

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
They look like it to me(no expert just found the picture in a book) cut one down the middle length wise, my picture show's stem light brown inside when cut.

Firstly I'M NO EXPERT. What little I know comes from "How to Identify Edible Mushrooms" from Collins.

Here's what it says about the shaggy parasol:
Some books recommend this as a highly edible species, as it is to most people but it can cause stomach upsets and skin rashes so treat with caution
(emphasis in original)

The cap should be 12-18cm with a white spore print. Flesh turning orange-red when cut and gills cream coloured bruising red-brown.

The important bit is the lookalikes...
"There are many small (cap to 5cm) Lepiota species with scaly caps... some are deadly poisonous and all small Parasol lookalikes must be avoided."[/i]

I've been able to positively identify a few poisonous mushrooms (unfortunately including the one growing in my back garden - which is a Yellow-staining mushroom) but never been sure enough to eat any I've found yet.

Remember to keep some uncut and uncooked to bring to hospital with you "just in case".

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
yeah, the ID is right.

Parasols go very soggy and slimy when cooked in wet dishes - not a texture I like personally so I don't put them in stews or caseroles etc.

I quite like deep frying them by dusting with flour dipping them in egg and then bread crumbs and frying them for a few minutes. A lovely starter with some Alioli mayo

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
yeah, the ID is right.

Parasols go very soggy and slimy when cooked in wet dishes - not a texture I like personally so I don't put them in stews or caseroles etc.

I quite like deep frying them by dusting with flour dipping them in egg and then bread crumbs and frying them for a few minutes. A lovely starter with some Alioli mayo

Cheers Andy is it all right to fry up like field mushrooms ?

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE